Delaware Coastal Airport
|Delaware Coastal Airport|
|Owner||Sussex County Council|
|Elevation AMSL||53 ft / 16 m|
|Website||Delaware Coastal Airport|
Delaware Coastal Airport (IATA: GED, ICAO: KGED, FAA LID: GED) is a public use airport in Sussex County, Delaware, United States. Owned by the Sussex County Council, it is located two nautical miles (4 km) southeast of the central business district of Georgetown. It is included in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2017–2021, in which it is categorized as a regional general aviation facility.
The airport is known locally by various unofficial names, including County Airport and, especially, Georgetown Airport. In mid-June 2015, the Sussex County Council voted to rename the airport from Sussex County Airport to Delaware Coastal Airport. The vote was since passed and the airport is now officially known as Delaware Coastal Airport.
Facilities and aircraft
Delaware Coastal Airport covers an area of 615 acres (249 ha) at an elevation of 53 feet (16 m) above mean sea level. It has two runways with asphalt surfaces: 4/22 is 5,000 by 150 feet (1,524 x 46 m) and 10/28 is 3,109 by 75 feet (948 x 23 m).
For the 12-month period ending December 31, 2009, the airport had 26,000 aircraft operations, an average of 71 per day: 97.7% general aviation, 1.9% air taxi, and 0.4% military. At that time there were 62 aircraft based at this airport: 71% single-engine, 15% multi-engine, 10% helicopter, 3% jet, and 2% glider.
- FAA Airport Master Record for GED ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective November 15, 2012.
- "IATA Airport Code Search (GED: Sussex County)". International Air Transport Association. Retrieved August 3, 2013.
- "List of NPIAS Airports" (PDF). FAA.gov. Federal Aviation Administration. 21 October 2016. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- Counts, Maria, "Sussex County rebrands airport with new name, logo," coastalpoint.com, June 19, 2015.
- Delaware Coastal Airport, official site
- "Sussex County Airport (GED)" (PDF). at Delaware DOT website
- Aerial image as of March 1992 from USGS The National Map
- FAA Terminal Procedures for GED, effective May 24, 2018
- Resources for this airport: