|Products||Leveraged buyouts, special situations, distressed buyouts|
Number of employees
|History of private equity|
and venture capital
|(origins of modern private equity)|
|(leveraged buyout boom)|
|(leveraged buyout and the venture capital bubble)|
|(dot-com bubble to the credit crunch)|
Sycamore Partners was founded in 2011 by Stefan Kaluzny and Peter Morrow. Before Sycamore, Kaluzny was a Managing Partner at Golden Gate Capital and was employed since the firm's inception. Prior to joining Golden Gate, he co-founded Delray Farms, Inc. and also served as its Chief Executive Officer. Kaluzny received a BA from Yale University and an MBA from Harvard Business School. Morrow served as a Principal at Golden Gate before co-founding Sycamore. Peter Morrow received a BA from Stanford University and an MBA from Stanford Graduate School of Business.
- Belk (Acquired 2015)
- Hot Topic (Acquired 2013)
- MGF Sourcing
- NBG Home
- Talbots (Acquired 2012)
- The Limited (Acquired 2017)
- Torrid (acquired 2013)
- Premium Apparel LLC (affiliate of Sycamore Partners used to acquire Ann Taylor, Lane Bryant and related brands from Ascena Retail Group in December 2020.)
- Azamara Cruises (Acquired January 2021)
- Express, Inc. (January 2021)
- EMP Merchandising sold to Warner Music Group in 2018.
- Nine West Holdings (2013-2018)
- Jones New York sold to Authentic Brands Group in 2015.
- Nine West sold to Authentic Brands Group in 2018.
- Bandolino sold to Authentic Brands Group in 2018.
- Kurt Geiger Acquired by Jones Apparel Group in 2011. Sold to Cinven in 2015.
- Stuart Weitzman sold to Coach, Inc. (now known as Tapestry, Inc.) in 2015.
- Coldwater Creek (2014-2020) assets sold to Hong Kong procurement company Newtimes Group in 2020.
In 2011, Sycamore acquired a 51% stake in MGF Sourcing, finally completing the total takeover in 2015.
In 2014, the firm acquired Coldwater Creek, Jones New York for $2.2 billion which was then sold to Authentic Brands Group in 2015. Kurt Geiger which was then sold to Cinven in 2015. Sycamore also sold the Stuart Weitzman business to Coach, Inc. in 2015 for $574 million.
In 2017, Sycamore's Nine West Holdings acquired Kasper and Sycamore Partners purchased NBG Home. The firm then went onto win the bid for The Limited, bidding $26.8 million. In June 2017, Reuters reported that Staples Inc. had agreed to sell itself for $6.9 billion. Sycamore also sold over 300 Dollar Express stores to rival, Dollar General.
In July 2020, it was announced that Sycamore Partners had made a $1.75B offer to acquire department store chain and competitor JCPenney out of bankruptcy, and would rebrand 250 JCPenney stores to the Belk name, to help the chain compete directly with Macy's. Under the plan, the remaining JCPenney stores will be liquidated. The plan was not selected.
- "Sycamore to recapitalize and retain control of retailer Belk". PE Hub. January 26, 2021.
- "Why the Wall Street dealmaker who bought Charlotte's Belk is betting on retail". The Charlotte Observer. May 22, 2017.
- "Newell Brands Completes Divestitures of Pure Fishing and Jostens". Retrieved 2018-11-25.
- "Investments". Sycamore Partners. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- "Done Deal: Ascena Retail sells Ann Taylor, other brands to Sycamore". chainstoreage.com. Retrieved 2021-03-04.
- "OUR COMPANY – MGF Sourcing". www.mgfsourcing.com. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Partners, Sycamore. "Sycamore Partners Completes Acquisition Of Talbots". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Merced, Michael J. de la (March 7, 2013). "Sycamore Partners to Buy Hot Topic for $600 Million". DealBook. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Partners, Sycamore. "Sycamore Partners Acquires Coldwater Creek Intellectual Property". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Partners, Sycamore. "Sycamore Partners Completes Acquisition Of The Jones Group". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Collings, Richard (2015-04-24). "Authentic Brands Acquires Jones New York Apparel Brand From Sycamore Partners". TheStreet. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Torrid, Sycamore Partners, Private equity, Sycamore private equity, Retail investment, Retail private equity, Consumer investment, Consumer private equity, Sycamore investment, Retail capital, Consumer capital, Stefan Kaluzny, Peter Morrow, Belk, Coldwater Creek, Dollar Express, EMP Merchandising, Hot Topic, Kasper, MGF Sourcing, Nine West, Talbots. "Private Equity | Retail | Sycamore Partners". www.sycamorepartners.com. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Bray, Chad (2015-12-14). "Kurt Geiger, British Footwear Maker, in Another Private Equity Deal". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Kell, John. "Coach to pay $574 million for shoemaker Stuart Weitzman". Fortune. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- "Sycamore Partners completes purchase of Belk". charlotteobserver. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Partners, Sycamore. "Sycamore Partners Acquires E.M.P. Merchandising, Germany-Based Multi-Channel Retailer". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Torrid, Sycamore Partners, Private equity, Sycamore private equity, Retail investment, Retail private equity, Consumer investment, Consumer private equity, Sycamore investment, Retail capital, Consumer capital, Stefan Kaluzny, Peter Morrow, Belk, Coldwater Creek, Dollar Express, EMP Merchandising, Hot Topic, Kasper, MGF Sourcing, Nine West, Talbots. "Private Equity | Retail | Sycamore Partners". sycamorepartners.com. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Inc., Nine West Holdings. "Nine West Holdings to Acquire the Kasper Group". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Partners, Sycamore. "Sycamore Partners Acquires NBG Home". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- "Exclusive: Sycamore Partners wins bankruptcy auction for The Limited - sources". Reuters. February 21, 2017. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Hirsch, Lauren (29 June 2017). "Staples in $6.9 billion sale to private equity firm Sycamore". Uk.reuters.com. Retrieved 7 June 2018.
- "Dollar General scooping up 323 former Family Dollar stores". Retail Dive. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Fickenscher, Lisa. "Private-equity firm Sycamore poised to buy J.C. Penney, merge it with North Carolina chain Belks; Penney brand likely to vanish". MarketWatch. Retrieved 2020-11-25.
- "J.C. Penney's sale approved by bankruptcy court". MarketWatch. Associated Press. Retrieved 2020-11-25.
- "Royal Caribbean Group is shrinking its fleet, selling Azamara to private equity firm". Miami Herald. January 19, 2021.