History of classification
They have traditionally been considered close relatives of the Blastobasidae, where they were sometimes included as subfamily Symmocinae. In arrangements that include the former in the case-bearer family (Coleophoridae) as subfamily Blastobasinae, the Symmocidae were usually treated as tribe Symmocini. Alternatively, they have been united with the Holcopogonidae; in such a treatment the combined group is typically not included in the concealer moth family (Oecophoridae) but treated as distinct family Autostichidae or Symmocidae, with the respective subfamilies downranked to tribes. Another group proposed to be a close relative is the Xyloryctinae, usually included in the Oecophoridae wherever the Symmocidae are. More recently, with additional data and molecular phylogenetic analyses becoming available, the Symmocidae are reinstated as a family in their own right, pending further study of gelechioid interrelationships.
Regardless of their systematic position and taxonomic rank, the group was usually divided into two groups, one centered on Oegoconia and the other encompassing those genera closer to Symmoca. The former is called Oegoconiinae or Oegoconiini and the latter Symmocinae or Symmocini, depending on whether the overall group is treated as family or subfamily. While the overall circumscription and the relationships of the Symmocidae are essentially unresolved, the Oegoconiinae-Symmocinae subdivision seems to be quite well warranted.
Taxonomy and systematics
- ABRS (2008)
- ABRS (2008), ToL (2008), FE (2009), Wikispecies (2006-NOV-07), and see references in Savela (2001)
- ABRS (2008), FE (2009)
- ABRS (2008), FE (2009), and see references in Savela (2001)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Symmocinae.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Symmocinae|
- Australian Biological Resources Study (ABRS) (2008): Australian Faunal Directory – Symmocidae. Version of 2008-OCT-09. Retrieved 2010-APR-29.
- Fauna Europaea (FE) (2009): Symmocinae [sic]. Version 2.1, 2009-DEC-22. Retrieved 2010-APR-29.
- Savela, Markku (2001): Markku Savela's Lepidoptera and some other life forms – Symmocinae [sic]. Version of 2001-NOV-08. Retrieved 2010-APR-29.
- Tree of Life Web Project (ToL) (2008): Coleophoridae. Version of 2008-MAY-01. Retrieved 2010-APR-28.