|Founded||September 17, 1991Nijmegen, The Netherlandsin|
|Founder||dr. Jacques Lemmens|
|Headquarters||Nijmegen, The Netherlands|
Number of employees
The company was founded in 1991 by two organic chemists of the Radboud University Nijmegen. Synthon is active in the Netherlands, the Czech Republic, Spain, the United States, Argentina, Chile, Russia, Mexico and South Korea with about 1,600 employees. The company is headquartered in Nijmegen.
Medications made by Synthon include:
- Simvastatin (A statin)
- Tamsulosin (An alpha blocker for the symptomatic treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia)
- Paroxetine (An antidepressant)
The products are marketed by partners of the company. The name Synthon is not mentioned on the packaging.
In 2007 the company started developing biopharmaceuticals. In May 2012 Synthon announced that it bought the Biolex LEX System for manufacturing biopharmaceuticals in Lemna. The sale also included two preclinical biologics made with the LEX System, BLX-301, a humanized and glyco-optimized anti-CD20 antibody for non-Hodgkin's B-cell lymphoma and other B-cell malignancies and BLX-155, a direct-acting thrombolytic. The financial terms of the sale were not disclosed.
- Pil Genthon via omweg afgezet - Economie - de Volkskrant
- Bird & Bird Wins Major Patent Battle for Synthon
- Synthon ontwikkelt nieuw medicijn tegen de ziekte van Crohn
- Biolex Sells LEX System to Synthon and Initiates Sale of Locteron(R) Press Release: Biolex Therapeutics – Mon, May 7, 2012.