|Meaning||"Gazelle" and "Graceful"|
|Region of origin||Aramaic|
|Related names||Tabetha, Tabytha, Tabatha, Tabahta, Tabathina, Tabea, Tabby, Tibby, Tabbycat, Tab|
Tabitha (//) is an English language feminine given name, derived from an Aramaic word טביתא ṭabītā that means gazelle. Cf. Hebrew צְבִיָּה (Tzviya). It is a biblical name from Acts 9:36, which in the original Greek was Ταβιθά, in which Tabitha (Dorcas in Greek) is a woman raised from the dead by Saint Peter. Other alternate spellings include Tabytha, Tabahta, Tabathina and Tabea. Nicknames include Tab, Tabbi, Tabby, Tibby and Tabs.
The name was common in 18th century New England, and of those born between 1718 and 1745, ranked about 31st as most common female given names, about 0.56% of the population. The name gained a resurgence in the United States in the 1970s and 1980s, when it was ranked among the 200 most popular names for girls. The character Tabitha Stephens, a child witch on the 1960s television situation comedy Bewitched, raised the profile of the name. It has since declined in popularity. In 2009 it was the 647th most popular name for girls in the United States. The name was the 209th most popular name for girls in England and Wales in 2007.
- Tabitha Ann Holton, first woman licensed as a lawyer in North Carolina
- Tabitha Babbitt, early American toolmaker, inventor of the circular saw
- Tabitha Brown, American pioneer
- Tabitha D'umo, American dance teacher, choreographer, and creative director
- Tabitha Fringe Chase, American activist
- Tabitha Gilman Tenney, early American author
- Tabitha King, author and wife of Stephen King
- Tabitha Lupien, Canadian actress and competitive dancer
- Tabitha Morris, Philanthropist and Founder of The Global Love Connection, inc.
- Tabitha Nauser, Singaporean singer
- Tabitha Soren, reporter for MTV News
- Tabitha St. Germain, Canadian stage actress and voice actress
- Tabitha Suzuma, British writer
- Tabitha Wady, British actress
- Tabitha Yim, Korean American gymnast
- Tabatha Coffey, Australian hairstylist, salon owner, and television personality
- Tabitha Smith, a Marvel superhero character
- Tabitha Twitchit, anthropomorphic cat who features in the books of Beatrix Potter
- Tabitha "Tibby" Rollins, main character in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
Movies and television
- Tabitha Holswatz, more commonly known as "Tabby", a character on Monster Warriors
- Tabitha Lenox, a character on the NBC daytime drama Passions
- Tabitha Stephens, a child witch from the 1960s American sitcom Bewitched and its 1970s spinoff Tabitha
- Tabitha, a character alias from the anime The Familiar of Zero
- Tabitha, a character in Scary Movie 3
- Tabitha, a fairy queen in Thumbelina (1994 film)
- Tabitha, a girl who owns Roddy the rat in Flushed Away
- Tabitha, a character in the 2010 video game Fallout New Vegas
- Tabitha, a character in the DS game Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
- Team Magma Admin. Tabitha, Team Magma second in command from the Pokémon game franchise (it is worth noting that Tabitha is in fact a man)
- "Dorcas". The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. 2001-05. Columbia University Press. Retrieved 2007-04-01.
- Baby Planners
- "View Name: Tabitha". behindthename.com. Retrieved 2007-12-20.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|