3rd Taktra Rinpoche
Ngawang Sungrab Thutob (Standard Tibetan: སྟག་བྲག་ནག་དབང་གསུང་རབ།; Chinese: 三世达扎阿旺松绕) (1874–1952) was the third Taktra Rinpoche, (Wylie transliteration: sTag-brag, also Takdrak, Tagdrag, etc.) and regent of Tibet. As regent, he was responsible for raising and educating the 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso. In 1941, he succeeded the fifth Reting Rinpoche, Jamphel Yeshe Gyaltsen. The Reting Rinpoche later rebelled, was captured, and died imprisoned in the Potala Palace under mysterious circumstances.
State-controlled media in China claims that Thutob was responsible for the death of the 5th Reting Rinpoche, the teacher of 14th Dalai Lama and previous regent. They praise Jamphel Yeshe Gyaltsen as a patriot and devout Buddhist while calling Ngawang Sungrab Thutob as a "pro-Britain, pro-slavery separatist." Reting Rinpoche, regardless of his political leanings, will be remembered for discovering and enthroning the current, 14th Dalai Lama.
In 1955 (or 1954), the 4th Taktra or Dagzhag (单增格列, 丹增格列 or 丹增赤烈) born. He was recognized by the Chinese government and Dalai Lama in 1958 (or 1957). His name was given by 14th Dalai Lama. One or two years later, Dalai Lama fled to India.
Ironically, even though mass media in China evaluate Ngawang Sungrab Thutob negatively, 4th Taktra became a member of the 6th council of the Buddhist Association of China and the Vice President of Tibetan Sub-Association of Buddhist Association of China. He was quoted to have pejoratively labeled the Dalai Lama's supporters as the "Dalai Group" and blame them:
|“||A few temple monks, following the scriptures poorly, do not comply with religious teachings; undermine religious order; promote anarchy; and, echoing with the Dalai clique, encourage separatist activities, sabotage Tibet's stability, damage the normal order of Tibetan Buddhism, doing evil to the religious community and the majority of believers, as well as the fundamental interests of Buddhism. We will never agree with their views and will strongly oppose them.
- Laird, Thomas (2007) The Story of Tibet, Dutch: Het verhaal van Tibet: Gesprekken met de Dalai Lama, p.p. 265, 268, 276-77, 287, A.W. Bruna Uitgevers, Utrecht ISBN 978-90-229-8784-1 (Dutch)
- Barraux, Roland (1995) Die Geschichte der Dalai Lamas - Göttliches Mitleid und irdische Politik, Komet/Patmos, Frechen/Düsseldorf, ISBN 3-933366-62-3, p.p. 275-282 (German)
- "活佛 达扎•单增格列 - Guangming Ribao Net". Retrieved October 25, 2011.
- "达扎呼图克图世系(1)". Retrieved October 25, 2011.
- "从佛教教义揭批达赖集团的罪恶行径". Retrieved October 25, 2011.
- "西藏高僧大德：他们的行为完全违背了佛祖大慈大悲的根本". Retrieved October 25, 2011.
|This Tibetan biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|