Talk:1899 Atlantic hurricane season
|1899 Atlantic hurricane season has been listed as a Natural sciences good article under the good article criteria. If you can improve it further, please do, and if it no longer meets these criteria, it can be reassessed.
Review: September 2, 2013. ( ).
|WikiProject Tropical cyclones / Season / Atlantic||(Rated GA-class, Low-importance)|
Structure. Jdorje 02:10, 16 January 2006 (UTC)
- This review is transcluded from Talk:1899 Atlantic hurricane season/GA1. The edit link for this section can be used to add comments to the review.
- "There were nine tropical storms, of which five became hurricanes, while two of those strengthened into major hurricanes, which are Category 3 or higher on the modern day Saffir–Simpson hurricane wind scale." - split, too long :P
- "The first system, Tropical Storm One" - don't really need to call it that. It wasn't called that operationally, and it isn't called that in literature. Ditto the last storm.
- "September 3 - September 4" - either make this a dash, or say "September 3 through the following day"
- "nicknamed the 1899 San Ciriaco hurricane" - we already got that it's 1899. Don't think that the year is needed here (ditto the Carabelle hurricane).
- "A post-season analysis of this storm indicated that it was the longest-lasting Atlantic tropical cyclone on record. " - that's false, since it was the longest
- How is this wrong? It doesn't say "was one of the longest-lasting Atlantic tropical cyclones on record."--12george1 (talk) 05:43, 2 September 2013 (UTC)
- "Impact was reported along much of its path, including in the Lesser Antilles, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, the Bahamas, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and the Azores.' - why don't you just say "The path impacted the Lesser......."
- " contributed to an ongoing flood event in Texas." - think you can change this to "in the state", since it's established it's Texas.
- "12,000 square miles (31,000 km2) of land was " - was--> were
- "At Hearne, the flood's highest recorded stage, water rose above every rain gauge." - not sure what this means
- "The next storm, known as Hurricane San Ciriaco" - why would you link it again?
- "Shortly after moving inland, it weakened to a Category 2 hurricane at 0600 UTC on August 18, six hours before falling to Category 1 intensity" - do you need both SSHS intensities here?
- "Between August 26 and September 1, the storm did not differentiate in intensity. Though by September 2, it began re-strengthening while turning southeastward." - merge sentences
- Watch for your wording in the 2nd paragraph of the San Ciriaco hurricane. This backs up it being the longest-lasting, at 27.75 days (more than Ginger).
- "which estates suffered considerable damage." - not sure what you were going for
- "which estates suffered considerable damage. Nearly all estates were destroyed on Saint Croix. " - this seems redundant
- "strong winds and waves sank 50 small crafts, most of them were at Andros" - get rid of the "were"
- "Because the "entire island" was inundated " - what island?
- Link HURDAT?
- "20°N, 84.1°W" - this isn't useful
- "In the city of Black River" - since this opens a paragraph, you should clarify the country. Ditto with "Wrightsville Beach" and state
- " Yallahs, Saint Thomas Parish, Jamaica" - bit too much specification here
- " It continued weaken" - grammar
- The structure for "Tropical Storm Ten" is odd. You have one paragraph for MH, and then the next one is a mix.
- Overall pretty decent! Lemne know if there are any questions. --♫ Hurricanehink (talk) 05:11, 2 September 2013 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on 1899 Atlantic hurricane season. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive http://www.webcitation.org/6bxpFoAqi?url=http://www.gobierno.pr/NR/rdonlyres/49EA64D0-305B-4881-8B85-04B518004BD5/0/Ciclones_en_PR.pdf to http://www.gobierno.pr/NR/rdonlyres/49EA64D0-305B-4881-8B85-04B518004BD5/0/Ciclones_en_PR.pdf
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.