|WikiProject Numismatics||(Rated B-class, High-importance)|
|WikiProject Algeria||(Rated B-class, Top-importance)|
Following the massive inflation which accompanied the transition to a more capitalist economy in the early 1990s, the centime coins have dropped out of general circulation, as have the 1 and 2 dinar coins. Nonetheless, prices are typically quoted in centimes in everyday speech; thus a price of 100 dinars is read as عشر الاف "ten thousand".
Was there a 100:1 revaluation at some point? If not, where did teh custom of citing prices in centimes originate? Nik42 10:48, 9 November 2005 (UTC)
The only revaluation was when the currency changed from the old Franc to the new franc in 1960?. Enlil Ninlil 23:30, 24 May 2007 (UTC)
- In France people were slow to adapt and many continued to quote prices in old francs, especially for very large amounts, such as house prices. The media clearly couldn't do this, so they compromised with popular usage by giving amounts in centimes. This did not completely die out until the adoption of the euro. Algerians may well have done the same, though it was not AFAIK prevalent when I lived there in 1978-80, though I don't speak Arabic, only French.
- By the way it wasn't a revaluation in 1960. The value of French currency did not change. It was a redenomination of 100 francs as 1 NF (new franc).220.127.116.11 (talk) 16:37, 1 January 2009 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Algerian dinar. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20041215021553/http://www.bank-of-algeria.dz/piece7.htm to http://www.bank-of-algeria.dz/piece7.htm
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.