|WikiProject Computing||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
Suggestions for Development/Expansion
- Add specific discussion of CRC as error detection and use Winzip as an example
- Add discussion of redundancy, parsing, and fault tolerant design as error correction and use WinRAR (.RAR/.PAR) as an example
The "Zen" section is a bit obtuse. I think what it's trying to say is that an archive file format is isomorphic to a file system. But I can see one difference: a file system is more optimized for in-place modification. --Damian Yerrick (talk | stalk) 22:32, 28 April 2008 (UTC)
The sections below were removed by the edit of 19:28, 12 September 2012, reason: "says nothing". This text seems like a good summary for the lead, but we should have specific details in the main body to justify putting vague, summarized statements in the lead. What was the very first archive format, and what year was it introduced? Name some early specific vendor formats. – Wbm1058 (talk) 12:57, 29 October 2012 (UTC)
Ubiquitous amongst Unix and Unix-like operating systems is the tar file format (from tape archive). Originally intended for transferring files to and from tape, it is still used on disk-based storage to combine files before they are compressed.
Historically, every major computer platform, every operating system, and every vendor had its own preferred archive format. Some formats became more commonly used because of licensing and feasibility. Today the most common formats are supported by many platforms and vendors. New technologies continue to introduce new formats.
I do not think its a good idea to merge
archive file is a file that is archived, and file archiver is the tool for archiving files. so it does not seem like a good idea to merge. FockeWulf FW 190 (talk)FockeWulf FW 190FockeWulf FW 190 (talk) —Preceding undated comment added 17:47, 30 September 2013 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Archive file. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20090611043446/http://datacompression.info:80/ArchiveFormats/tar.txt to http://datacompression.info/ArchiveFormats/tar.txt
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20120702230325/http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_PP1401.html to http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_PP1401.html/
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.