Talk:Artemis Fowl (novel)/Archive 1
|This page is an archive. Do not edit the contents of this page. Please direct any additional comments to the current talk page.|
characters in the 1st chapter
First encounter between Artemis and Holly
Shouldn't the line "She attempts to employ the almost-no-magic-needed, mind-controlling mesmer on them, but they tranquilize her before she can" say that Artemis and Butler were wearing reflective sunglasses? -08:10, 10 November 2006 (UTC)
yeah pretty much
Firstly, shouldn't the article remind us that Butler and Artmeis tried several places before going to the same oak tree as Holly? Also, Holly took her helmet off, before bending for an acorn. Another thing, Foaly realises that Holly is missing in action, tells that to Root who sees the evidence. Then they look for Holly. Akid 02:11, 9 January 2007 (UTC)
More minor flaws
After Artemis stops the loop, the fort thing he sees is Mulch Diggums, not the troll. Also, Mulch had the idea of escaping the entire time he was underground, that's why he remembered the location of the rabbit warren. Akid 02:25, 9 January 2007 (UTC)
Shouldn't revealing the Gnomish code be considered a spoiler? --Defender 911 19:22, 1 April 2007 (UTC)
- Not really. If you search out the 'Wayne's World' Wiki-page, you're gonna expect to see how it ends somewhere on it. Lots42 01:18, 1 November 2007 (UTC)
An overlong plot, too much emphasis on in-universe code, nothing on Colfer's creation of the character and the critical reception is too short. Alientraveller 17:35, 7 April 2007 (UTC)
Should the article mention the two pscyologists (excuse my spelling) who worked on the seige? It's mentioned on the Briar Cudgeon page. Akid 03:14, 12 April 2007 (UTC)
I have changed the 'country' of this novel from Éire to Ireland. According to the Wikipedia article "Éire": "The name [Éire] was given in Article 4 of the 1937 Irish constitution to the Irish state, created under the 1921 Anglo-Irish Treaty, which was known between 1922 and 1937 as the Irish Free State. Article 4 stated that: "The name of the state is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland." Article 8 states that Irish is the first official language. Since 1949, the term Republic of Ireland has generally been used in preference to Éire, when speaking English." As this is an English-language encyclopedia, we should use the English-language name. Cdlw93 04:24, 12 April 2007 (UTC)
The article has been assessed as a Fail.
The assessment is as follows :
- 1) In the Lead, it is mentioned that the novel received several awards but there is no further reference to these awards in the article.
- Done; Critical Reception.
- 2) Artemis Fowl is mentioned in the Lead as a "criminal mastermind" but there is no further explanation as to how and why he became a criminal mastermind.
- Done; Characters & Synopsis.
- 3) Viking's Childrens Book is a non-existent link.
- Done; Viking Children's Books -> Viking Press, parent company.
- 4) There should be a seperate publication history section which should come at the end of the article not the beginning and which should list all editions, their publication dates and their ISBN numbers.
- 5) What's a "mesmer" ? It should be explained.
- 6) An entire new section of the article has to be written, entitled "Characters", the major characters of the novel need to be described and examined.
- 7) There is nothing "so-called" about "Good" and "Evil". If the novel attempts a psychological examination of Good and Evil then the Themes section needs to be expanded with an accompanying interpretion of the actions of the characters.
The article failed its last GA nomination in April 2007 and it has failed now.
Do not re-nominate until a lot of work has gone into the article.
See Dragons of Autumn Twilight on how to write a GA status article for a fantasy novel.
Tovojolo 22:43, 9 October 2007 (UTC)
Request for a picture
I looked through the article and saw that noone has posted a picture for the english cover of the artimis fowl book. Coukd someone please post one? Please? -Fear teh Happy! 20:03, 19 October 2007 (UTC)
Fairy Troll Business
The business with the troll in the 'Theme' section confuses me. It was clearly a corrupt division of fairies that set loose the troll. The other fairies (Root and Foaly and such) were against the use of the troll. Lots42 01:16, 1 November 2007 (UTC)
Not technically, no-it was Cudgeon that decided to release the troll in hopes of furthering his career. The fairies under him were just following his instructions. Unidentified Flying Bunny in the Sky Talk Contribs 21:25, 15 March 2008 (UTC)