Talk:Battle of Afabet
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Battle of Afabet article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|A fact from this article was featured on Wikipedia's Main Page in the On this day... section on March 17, 2012 and March 17, 2013.|
I'll admit that the History of Eritrea isn't my best subject, but was this battle also known as the "Battle of Nakfa"? The events of that battle which I can recall off the top of my head are identical to the ones described here. There is more than a question of an alternative name here: if these are the same battle, then it should be mentioned that the present currency in use -- the nakfa -- is named after this battle. -- llywrch 17:41, 4 June 2007 (UTC)
- I think they may be the same (Naqfa is nearby), but Af Abet is by far the more common name. The Nakfa is named after the town and not the battle, though. Naqfa was basically the "capital" (headquarters) of the EPLF during the 1980s (before the EPLF and ELF were located more in the West and Sudan, IIRC). — ዮም | (Yom) | Talk • contribs • Ethiopia 20:11, 4 June 2007 (UTC)
- From my understanding the Battle of Nakfa is another name for the battles that ensued from the 6th & 7th offensives in the 1980's. The Battle of Nakfa was a defensive action to hold town after the entrance of the Soviets to the War of Independence. The Battle of Afabet on the other hand was a battle that turned the Eritreans from the defensive to the offensive Merhawie 11:45, 5 June 2007 (UTC)since the involvement of the Soviets. --
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Battle of Afabet. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20081117005655/http://www.shaebia.org/artman/publish/article_5299.shtml to http://www.shaebia.org/artman/publish/article_5299.shtml
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_179.shtml
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.