Talk:Chinese University of Hong Kong
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Chinese University of Hong Kong article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article is written in British English, which has its own spelling conventions (colour, travelled, centre, realise, defence), and some terms used in it are different or absent from other varieties of English. According to the relevant style guide, this should not be changed without broad consensus.|
|Text and/or other creative content from this version of Childhood Bilingualism Research Centre was copied or moved into Chinese University of Hong Kong with this edit. The former page's history now serves to provide attribution for that content in the latter page, and it must not be deleted so long as the latter page exists. The former page's talk page can be accessed at Talk:Childhood Bilingualism Research Centre.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
- 1 School userbox
- 2 "The" proper page title
- 3 the "Fairvoice" issue
- 4 what is really needed on this page
- 5 I've returned the page to a previous version
- 6 Some general rules to consider before you edit this page and the article on CUHK
- 7 history of previous discussions and messages
- 8 Editing log
- 9 Deleting the section of Controversies and Criticisms on Recent School Policies
- 10 Suggesting an internal link
- 11 Another new entry on the editing log
- 12 Asking for the pages about "Sex-related pages on the student journal from the Chinese University of Hong Kong" incident
- 13 Merge proposal
- 14 Inclusion of article "The" before "Chinese University of Hong Kong"
- 15 Motto formatting
- 16 English Format
- 17 The name in Cantonese for Chinese University of Hong Kong
- 18 External links modified
Any students, alumni, or staff of the school might be interested in displaying this userbox on their user page:
Simply place the following code onto your user page:
"The" proper page title
For the record, the word "The" is part of the official full name. Should we change the title to The Chinese University of Hong Kong instead? (I am an alumnus, and kind of sensitive about this.) —Tonyngkh (talk) 08:35, 17 January 2012 (UTC)
the "Fairvoice" issue
Fairvoice, I don't know who you are, but would you please stop randomly deleting things on the CUHK page? It is getting quite annoying. It would be much appreciated if you would update the figures and information on this page. Deletion of paragraphs is almost NEVER appreciated on wikipedia. Justicelilo 04:54, 5 August 2007 (UTC)
what is really needed on this page
The current format of this page is not bad.
- Introduction (general information)
- Academics and Research (here you put the school's libraries, achievment, pass awards, etc. Currently this section is lacking.
- tradition (This is normally where you put sport teams and other university cultural tradition. This is also currently lacking)
- history (This is about the purpose and history of the school, from the first college to the current. There are so much information in this area that is lacking)
- life on campus (This is about transportation, cafe, environment, famous scenaries)
- recent changes
- notable graduates
Also, whoever is putting the word "controversial" into the article, please stop. This is really just an informational article about the school. It is not meant to be a chat forum. Freedom of speech should be exercised depending on the context and situation. Whatever is "controversial" also means it is undetermined and debatable, thus without an objective conclusion; it is not fact. Thanks for hearing me out. Justicelilo 09:39, 12 March 2007 (UTC)
I've returned the page to a previous version
if you check the last version, you will see that there are incomplete sentences in the introduction. Someone else other than me have deleted something around the introduction section. I noticed because I have done some heavy editing on this page before. I also noticed a lot of non-neutral words in the article, someone keeps on adding "controversial" into the article every chance he gets. Thus I reverted the page back to an earlier version. Justicelilo 09:27, 12 March 2007 (UTC)
PS. if by a section deleted you mean the musuem, then you are mistaken, it is still there linked at the bottom of the page. Justicelilo 09:39, 12 March 2007 (UTC)
Some general rules to consider before you edit this page and the article on CUHK
1. when you write on this discussion page, sign off with four "~" at then end of your message, so we know who says what.
2. Please leave a brief message on what you are going to change in the "edit summary box" provided below.
3. Please further the discussion on this page by writing at bottom of the page for clarity sake.
4. use ==(title)== to start a new topic for discussion on this page.
5. please use neutral wording on this discussion page and on the CUHK page.
I am by no mean the regulator of this page, but I've noticed other wiki university page has taken up similar measures with great results. I hope I don't offend you, and you would appreciate my intention. Justicelilo 20:02, 9 February 2007 (UTC)
history of previous discussions and messages
Regarding this statement, "While the University has established a School of Law to compete with those at the University of Hong Kong and the City University of Hong Kong, the committee overseeing legal education in Hong Kong has criticised the hasty establishment of the School and the lack of proper planning for its courses. Although the School began to receive its first batch of students in the Fall of 2006, it remains to be seen whether the standard of its first graduates will meet with approval by the legal profession," would someone care citing the source, or define what is the "the committee overseeing legal education in Hong Kong?" 220.127.116.11 18:23, 3 February 2007 (UTC)
Starting with the Administration section, this article is mostly lists that should probably be pruned with a heavy hand. Cpastern 21:24, 18 April 2006 (UTC)
Don't agree, maybe important things at the top, keeping such information there may be useful to someone, t's no harm! 10:43, 27 Apr 2006 (+8)
- I think that part is terrible. Wikipedia is not a link repository or an indiscriminate collection of information. Simply putting long lists like that does not help: actually those information are copied from the website and we could simply use external links. What we should do is to arrange information in a meaningful way for the readers, but not just giving them all the information. --Lorenzarius 19:32, 4 May 2006 (UTC)
- Agreed with Lorenzarius. This article needs a substantial revision. --Raphaelhui 12:51, 4 June 2006 (UTC)
- agree with Lorenzarius also. but i found that external links are all inside its own website www.cuhk.edu.hk --Joetsuihk 02:22, 11 August 2006 (UTC)
- Obviously the official site would contain external links but this is wikipedia. This article should have more information about the school rather than just list of departments and courses.
I just spent hours organizing this page, I hope you guys like it. Of course, please add valuable information about CUHK as you like. Sept, 2006 justicelilo
I've noticed someone keeps making changes to this page without leaving a hint of what he has changed or corrected; please do not do this. Also, please be careful about what you put on here, some of the recent changes are not positive improvement for the page. justicelilo
I've just done a rather large re-structuring and editing work of this page. Currently, its sections on academics and research, history, life on campus are not satisfyingly informative. Furthermore, there is a need for pictures on this page. Anyway, I hope my re-contruction of this page brings brevity and clarity to this page. Justicelilo 20:28, 9 February 2007 (UTC)
Oh, don't forget to contribute to the CUHK med school page, it is looking bare at the present. Justicelilo 20:47, 9 February 2007 (UTC)
Deleting the section of Controversies and Criticisms on Recent School Policies
I don't know why is the section here. But I want to hear some comments regarding this. Justicelilo 20:12, 9 February 2007 (UTC)
I concur with Justicelilo - unless there are other undiscovered reasons for the section to be included. Weirdo 04:32, February 10, 2007 (HKT)
To ip 18.104.22.168: I have a concern regarding your insistence on adding various non-neutral comments on the CUHK page. Also, if you would like to add or delete any section, would you mind leaving your thought and reasoning on the discussion page of the CU article? I am taking the liberty to take out the controversial section of the CU page. I fail to see how these paragraphs contribute to painting an objective and complete image for the purpose of providing information to other wiki-users. In fact, the only other university I've seen keeping a non-neutral section on its wiki page is HKU. Most university wiki pages do not have subjective paragraphs like this. Furthermore, wikipedia is not a gossip forum, nor is it a medium for transmitting "recent and controversial news;" I recommand that you should change your mindset regarding wiki-articles before attempt another contribution to wikipedia. Justicelilo 05:16, 11 February 2007 (UTC)
I would like to suggest the inclusion of an internal link to ASAIHL (infobox: affiliations). CUHK is included in the list of members in the ASAIHLs official website. I added the internal link before but it was deleted. The instructions in the talk page is a bit confusing for me, I'm not sure if it is included in the "what is really needed on this page". Thanks! 09:42, 14 March 2007 (UTC)
Hello. First of all, I apologize for deleting your effort regarding the link. I did it by accident. I think it's great that someone finally come in and have something new and constructive to put on the page. Second, let us look at this idea about putting in an affilation into the page. If we were to put an affiliation, the usual practice is to do it at the bottom of the page, feel free to browse other world-class universities, such as Harvard. On the other hand, nothing stops us from putting the an affiliation link elsewhere on the page; for example, I've noticed that there is an link to ASAIHL in HKU's infobox. Therefore, I believe it is up to you to decide the location of the link. I personally prefer to put the link at the bottom of the page with a box listing out the member-university within the affiliation, because people have a better chance of seeing the affiliation this way; the alternative would be to have people reading the small text in the infobox (an infobox, btw, is that little box on the right upper hand corner, in case you do not know, but I think you do), which is not an attractive option--I think. Now that the issue of "how to put a link of affiliation" is disposed of, and I think that you have the information needed to make the decision on how to proceed from here. I wouldn't want to be in your way.
Now I do want to raise another issue regarding affiliation. Almost every university belongs to an affiliation. CUHK, for example, belongs to the "HK nine higher learning institutions" without any explict saying. Furthermore, a department of a school has affiliation often, for example, HKU law school and Duke Law school are somewhat affiliated--meaning they coorporate to some extent. Therefore, how do we decide which affiliation to put on here? Should we put on every affliation or university-network CU has in existence? I think it is sensible to put only the significant and immediate affiliation/network on the page. Significant, meaning it is something that would put positive light on the university; and immediate, meaning that this affiliation is current and in effect. This is my opinion for now, it is for you to make the call whether to put the link in, or not. Thank you for contributing! Let's make this CU page one of the best university pages in the world!Justicelilo 12:08, 14 March 2007 (UTC)
- Thanks for the opinion there! "Affiliations" is included in the University infobox, that's the reason why I put the link to ASAIHL. ASAIHL is an important one, it is university-wide, not only in departments. There is a list of good university articles in the [[WP:UNI|WikiProject Univ], most univerisities listed the most important affiliations in the infobox and they also have a section for cooperation/membership below (both international and national). While CUHK still do not have a section for a list of affiliations or memberships in sections, it would be better to put at least 1 (in infobox) wherein others could categorize which one belongs together. 13:57, 14 March 2007 (UTC)
Another new entry on the editing log
I just made a couple changes to the article. Hope you guys like it. Justicelilo 19:42, 3 April 2007 (UTC)
I just want to ask whether there are pages concern about the incident in Wikipedia as I cannot find it on the main page in the Chinese University of Hong Kong nor any other related pages, thanks. Narold 10:31, 19 July 2007 (UTC)
- I don't know if there is such a page, however, this is the wikipedia, not a news-forum. I am not surprised that there isn't a page regarding the student publication controversy; just like you wont' find minor news item in a printed encyclopedia. Justicelilo 04:53, 5 August 2007 (UTC)
I propose merging the article Childhood Bilingualism Research Centre into this one, as it doesn't appear to meet the general notability guideline. I can't find any independent sources about the CBRC online, and the reference in the article is written by CBRC scholars Virginia Yip and Stephen Matthews. If anyone can find some decent independent sources I will be happy to reconsider, but unless they turn up I think the material from the CBRC article would be best merged to Chinese University of Hong Kong. — Mr. Stradivarius on tour (have a chat) 05:23, 16 November 2012 (UTC)
Inclusion of article "The" before "Chinese University of Hong Kong"
A user more than a year ago suggested that the official name (The Chinese University of Hong Kong) should be used instead of the current (Chinese University of Hong Kong). Indeed, the university's official website and logo do use "The" before the university name. However, as the following news articles suggest,
the article before the university name is not considered part of the name (hence not capitalised). I suggest that we adhere to WP:COMMONNAME. Any suggestions? --Wylve (talk) 05:59, 29 March 2013 (UTC)
- I agree. "Chinese University of Hong Kong" is certainly the more common name. Sham Shui Po (talk) 12:55, 1 April 2013 (UTC)
- An email reply from Ms Janice Zai of the CUHK Communications & Public Relations Office (Tel: 2609-8899; Fax: 2603-5828) dated 22 Feb 2011 has confirmed that: The official English Name of CUHK is “The Chinese University of Hong Kong”. Theowoo (talk) 12:31, 8 April 2013 (UTC)
Changed the note to use HK English, rather than UK, since they're almost the same. 14:08, 22 February 2015 (UTC)
- I'm not sure if there's "Hong Kong English" at the moment. For example, we don't say "use German English" on the Germany page. If they're the same, why is it necessary to be changed? In dialogue with Biomedicinal
The name in Cantonese for Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Hello 22.214.171.124 – you can find the romanisation in the Chinese infobox. That's the small box directly underneath the main infobox on the right hand side. Citobun (talk) 05:45, 27 December 2015 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 6 external links on Chinese University of Hong Kong. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20130930141746/http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/english/aboutus/milestones/milestones.html to http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/english/aboutus/milestones/milestones.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20070308144432/http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/iso/facts/issue/2006/2006.htm to http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/iso/facts/issue/2006/2006.htm
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110808032828/http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/iso/facts/issue/2010/finance_e.htm to http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/iso/facts/issue/2010/finance_e.htm
- Added archive https://archive.is/20130412224555/http://www.economist.com.hk/whichmba/full-time-mba-ranking to http://www.economist.com.hk/whichmba/full-time-mba-ranking
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20070427094238/http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/v6/en/colleges/colleges.html to http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/v6/en/colleges/colleges.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20140310172120/http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/transport_unit/ to http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/transport_unit/
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.