|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
- Link to world map is on the list; that has links to regional maps. -- Beland (talk) 18:21, 5 June 2017 (UTC)
Hi, all. I am a friend of a professional meteorologist who has done extensive work in the area of lightning detection, in fact has designed commercial lightning detection products. I'm also interested in lightning phenomena and asked my friend to look at Wikipedia's lightning detection entry. We observed that (this) current Wiki page lacks a section on professional lightning detection products, which are quite a bit more capable and reliable than the personal devices. I suggested we update the page. My friend is busy and does not have the time to learn how to update Wiki pages. I have a more flexible schedule and am more comfortable with using internet-based tools, so I suggested that if my friend provided the material I would be willing to perform the update. I have read the Wikipedia guidelines, and with particular care read those regarding conflicts of interest and original research. I think I understand them and I intend to avoid transgressions.
Therefore, we plan to add a new section about professional-quality lightning detection technology. The basic material has already been written; we are working now to find appropriate citations and references.
- The section you added reads like an advertisement for the products of Airborne Research Associates Inc. Most of the listed patents (an odd thing in itself) are currently held by that company. Perhaps you could demonstrate some impartiality and a lack of bias by including the products of other manufacturers, such as Boltek, et al. 22.214.171.124 (talk) 03:02, 11 January 2012 (UTC)
At long last, the above work has been completed and the material added. Bonus: I also added a section on lightning range estimation. Enjoy!
directionality of radio detection?
I think that the name of this article should be changed to "Lighting detector" because it is about those, not the detection. Also, please correct me if this is not the right format, as this is my first time using a talk page.
Smartphone as a lightning detector
I'm obviously not suggesting using the phone itself as a lightning detector but in the age of smartphones there are apps such as Blitzortung Lightning Monitor that fetches data from blitzortung.org and alerts you if there's a lightning strike within a certain radius. I'm not sure if it qualifies for being added to the article because again the phone itself isn't a lightning detector. The biggest advantage would of course be the price; most people already have a smartphone so they wouldn't need to buy anything new. Downside would be that if there's some connection issues or you run out of data, the app would not be able to retrieve the latest data and therefore be unable to warn you. The battery of the phone can also reach zero but that applies to a portable lightning detector as well. As far as efficiency goes, I've no idea so perhaps someone with a bit more expertise in the area could provide information on how the data from blitzortung.org compares to the other alternatives?
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 3 external links on Lightning detection. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110811044840/http://ae.nsstc.uah.edu/AE/abstracts/Rutledge1992.html to http://ae.nsstc.uah.edu/AE/abstracts/Rutledge1992.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20070416040111/http://www.strikestarus.com/ to http://www.strikestarus.com/
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20120905184945/http://met.ivic.gob.ve/vln/ to http://met.ivic.gob.ve/vln
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.
Sample maps would be neat
|It is requested that a map or maps be included in this article to improve its quality.|