Talk:List of Grand Tour general classification winners
|List of Grand Tour general classification winners is a featured list, which means it has been identified as one of the best lists produced by the Wikipedia community. If you can update or improve it, please do so.|
|List of Grand Tour general classification winners is the main article in the Lists of Grand Tour general classification winners series, a featured topic. This is identified as among the best series of articles produced by the Wikipedia community. If you can update or improve it, please do so.|
|Current status: Featured list|
|WikiProject Cycling / Tour de France||(Rated FL-class, Top-importance)|
|WikiProject Lists||(Rated FL-class, Low-importance)|
Winners by year addition
I realize this is a featured article, but the additional table seems to be a good addition. If this addition is controversial, perhaps we should have a vote to check what the consensus is? Legion211 (talk) 21:45, 11 September 2011 (UTC)
- Its not only a featured list but a featured topic, therefore consensus as already been reached. Anyway, the main reason why I don't think the table is a good idea is because it is repeating information already in other lists. If readers want to find out who won the Giro or the Tour they can check the relevant list. It serves no purpose to have the three races side by side in a table. The primary function of this list is to tally the winners of Grand Tours hence list of Grand Tour winners. That is why the table is not relevant as its just listing the winners of the races which is already done. It should be removed not just because of this but because it fails MOS as well. NapHit (talk) 22:33, 11 September 2011 (UTC)
- Although this is a cycling article and cyclists tend to track victories by country and racer, most people do not follow sports statistics like that. The average lay person would expect to see the races listed in numerical order from first to last. It instantly shows who won any particular year, allows the reader to see who won consecutive years without having to hunt for a rider by the number of wins he had and shows the total number of wins he had. This list is arguably more relevant and useful than the list ranked according to total wins. The additional table does not make the article excessively long or unwieldy. How dose this table fail MOS? Legion211 (talk) 07:15, 12 September 2011 (UTC)
- I don't think you understand the point. Read the lead of the list its geared towards the by rider table. The by year table is copying information from two places, the separate lists for the individual races and the Grand Tour page itself. There is no point in having a table like this. The premise of the list is to tally the winners to reveal who is the most successful in Grand Tours. There are other lists like this such as List of UEFA club competition winning managers, List of UEFA club competition winners and List of men's major championship winning golfers, not once was there a request when these lists passed FL AND FT for a year by year table because it is repeating information, already in other lists. On that basis I'm going to remove it because it is replication of information. The table also fails WP:ACCESS. NapHit (talk) 15:41, 12 September 2011 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on List of Grand Tour general classification winners. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110623174023/http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getObject.asp?MenuId=MTkzNg&ObjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=34028&LangId=1 to http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getObject.asp?MenuId=MTkzNg&ObjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=34028&LangId=1
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20101120051406/http://cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=917 to http://www.cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=917
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.