Talk:Mangle (machine)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Home Living (Rated C-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Home Living, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Home on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
C-Class article C  This article has been rated as C-Class on the quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the importance scale.


I think this should be the main article placed at "mangle" with the other (maginal) use being discussed in a disambiguation page. Is that unreasonable? Birdseed 13:06, 31 December 2005 (UTC)

No, it's not unreasonable. Zora 13:44, 31 December 2005 (UTC) (Original author of page, glad to see that it's much improved over my first version)

Can someone change "Anglo-saxon world" to a more appropriate phrase? If the meaning was the english-speaking world, say that, if it meant the British Empire, say that, if you meant the Isles, then say that. There is no real Anglo-Saxon world, unless you mean that people of such a heritage specifically no longer us the device Ciarán 05:53, 8 December 2006 (UTC)

Changed. Also rewrote. Hope this is considered an improvement. Zora 07:42, 8 December 2006 (UTC)

I know the spelling is also "ringer", also "ringer washer", wonder if someone could do a redirect for people looking for that as well. Ruth E (talk) 01:18, 8 May 2008 (UTC)

Wringer isn't a U.S. term- we call 'em mangles around here[edit]

I've lived all my life on the mid-Atlantic coast of the USA and I've never heard a mangle called a wringer, ever. I've seen a half dozen or so in antique shops and every one of them was being sold under the name "mangle". My father, who grew up in the Chicago area in the 1930s, calls them mangles. My mother, who grew up near Richmond, calls them mangles.

Seems like a citation is needed. Who calls them wringers? Maybe it's a west coast thing? —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 19:44, 3 September 2010 (UTC)

We call them wringers in TN. who ever heard of a mangle washer? they are wringer washers. RoeB — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 14:04, 20 August 2011 (UTC)

Not a West Coast thing; it was mangles in Washington State as well. Our mangle had a single rotating drum, rotating against a heated stator. They were also called "mangle irons", and google serves up images of the real thing. Wringers were used to wring water out of things just-washed (and were mostly in museums even 60 years ago). Wringers had two rollers.Captain Puget (talk) 04:16, 14 April 2013 (UTC)

Someone should consult the Dictionary of American Regional English -- I'll wager it will show the usage areas -- rather than trying to cobble a survey together from the folks who've happened to drop by here. Clevelander96 (talk) 20:42, 14 April 2013 (UTC)
p.s. Aside from mangle v.s wringer, the phrase"wringer washer" skews strongly to U.S. usage on nGram; first appearance is c. 1945 though, so a more recent term for sure. Clevelander96 (talk) 20:47, 14 April 2013 (UTC)

External links modified[edit]

Hello fellow Wikipedians,

I have just added archive links to one external link on Mangle (machine). Please take a moment to review my edit. If necessary, add {{cbignore}} after the link to keep me from modifying it. Alternatively, you can add {{nobots|deny=InternetArchiveBot}} to keep me off the page altogether. I made the following changes:

When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true to let others know.

You may set the |checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting |needhelp= to your help request.

  • If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
  • If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.

If you are unable to use these tools, you may set |needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.

Cheers.—cyberbot IITalk to my owner:Online 04:12, 9 January 2016 (UTC)

AKA Rotary Ironer[edit]

It is also known as rotary ironer. 2A02:587:D3E:6C00:91F3:B61A:9A7F:9BCD (talk) 21:01, 1 April 2017 (UTC)