From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search


"Muntin" (or "glazing bar" in the UK) has a fairly clear, well-defined meaning: a thin strip of wood or metal separating panes of glass in a window, door or piece of furniture. A muntin can also accurately be called a "mullion", but because the latter term has so many other meanings, calling a "muntin" a "mullion" invites confusion. This rewrite (and the entry for "mullion") attempts to clear up the muddle. I also added some historical details.

Distinct meanings of the two words[edit]

Removed the two photographs froom the article which showed window mullions which are defined as a separation between "window frames" - typically a thick piece of wood, metal, stone, etc. Muntin bars are the separation between panes of glass - and historically, what glazing putty or glazing compound adheres to when you install a broken pane of glass.

Mullion in south of France, Restored by philippe Bertone in 2008
Mullion in France

This article needs THE CORRECT photos!

Dogears (talk) 18:09, 13 March 2010 (UTC)