- The following discussion is an archived discussion of a requested move. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on the talk page. Editors desiring to contest the closing decision should consider a move review. No further edits should be made to this section.
The result of the move request was: moved. Unopposed for over two weeks, previous stable title. Jenks24 (talk) 13:41, 7 August 2014 (UTC)
HD 92139 → P Velorum – As seen in a SIMBAD search, the designation "p Velorum" is used much more often for this object than its HD designation, and thus should be moved per WP:COMMONNAME Unlike with some other Latin-letter Bayer designations, there is no star labeled "P Velorum", so no ambiguity can result from this move. Relisted. Jenks24 (talk) 12:02, 30 July 2014 (UTC) StringTheory11 (t • c) 20:42, 22 July 2014 (UTC)
- Feel free to state your position on the renaming proposal by beginning a new line in this section with
*'''Oppose''', then sign your comment with
~~~~. Since polling is not a substitute for discussion, please explain your reasons, taking into account Wikipedia's policy on article titles.
- Comment I would prefer this stay at the Draper designation, per discussions previously at WT:AST/WT:ASTRO about the general non-preferability of latin-letter Bayer desginations. P Velorum does exist (lists both "P" and "p"), though like many latin-lettered Bayer designations, it does not appear in SIMBAD. -- 126.96.36.199 (talk) 04:39, 26 July 2014 (UTC)
- Ah, good catch, I didn't see that. Doesn't change the fact that I think it should be moved to "p Velorum" though. Do you know what star it corresponds to so we can add it to table of stars with Bayer designations? StringTheory11 (t • c) 19:10, 26 July 2014 (UTC)
- According to that source— Epoch 1860: 10h 22m 11.95s 146° 55′ 32.00″ ; but many of these old books only list Bayer or Flamsteed designations, and not multiple designations, so I don't know what star in SIMBAD this corresponds with. -- 188.8.131.52 (talk) 05:51, 28 July 2014 (UTC)
- Any additional comments:
Note to closing admin: the title of this article was previously at "p Velorum" before being moved here under the premise that it would not be controversial. As a result, a "no consensus" result should result in a move back to "p Velorum", if I'm understanding policy correctly. StringTheory11 (t • c) 19:08, 26 July 2014 (UTC)
- The above discussion is preserved as an archive of a requested move. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on this talk page or in a move review. No further edits should be made to this section.