Talk:Putty knife

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Blades (Rated Start-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Blades, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of knives, swords, and blades on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the importance scale.


Hmm... This isn't a putty knife, this is:

It's called a putty knife because it's used to properly put putty around a pane of glass. The tool in the article is a scraper blade, used for scarping paint and wallpaper, not for puttying. Madness.

-previous comment added 10:59, 3 February 2008 by

Good point you make; the 'pedia could use a freely licensed image like that. But actually, the knives in the pic are not scrapers, but spreaders. Superficially similar, scrapers have a stiffer blade and often a beveled front edge. Card scrapers are a different critter, of course. __Just plain Bill (talk) 13:35, 3 February 2008 (UTC)

I agree with the above comment - the image does not show a putty knife or knives. These are drywall knives. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 22:14, 4 February 2008 (UTC)

Not really drywall knives, those two get used for almost everything but. Give me a day or so, and I'll put up a pic of some drywall knives, useful for joint taping and skim-coating. Ace Hardware seems to think the ones in the existing pic are putty knives. I haven't seen a window glazed with putty around the edges lately... but the first comment with the toolstation link is correct about the knife best used for that job. __Just plain Bill (talk) 04:04, 5 February 2008 (UTC)

Hi, OP here. Yeah, there seems to be a lot of confusion on what various handtools are called! Googling "putty knife" shows many different tools refferred to as such. If I'd used a scraper (or filler or whatever) to putty a pane of glass when I was an apprentice decorator, I would have been in trouble... It needs to be made clear that a putty knife is that tool from the link I posted, and that it is intended to be used to putty round panes of glass. (talk) 19:26, 5 February 2008 (UTC)Steve

OK, added a pic of a proper putty knife, and some text to clarify it. __Just plain Bill (talk) 14:35, 5 June 2008 (UTC)

Here in London most of the houses are old and have single glazed puttyed windows, so the putty knife is a current tool for the forseable future. the angled one showen is correct ( Harris have unfortunatly changed the shape( the new shape prevents making the corner corectly) in there latest creation indicating that even manufacturas are losing touch with reality. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Alex Stowell86.9.159.1 (talk) 10:27, 13 May 2009 (UTC)

[A spackle knife - Which language?][edit]

"A spackle knife (called a scraper in British English, also known as a spatula in American English) is also commonly called a "putty knife"" If british english it is called a scraper and American English a putty knife then what type of English is a spackle knife? Australian? NZ?