|WikiProject India / Karnataka / Geography||(Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)|
||It is requested that an image or photograph be included in this article to improve its quality. Please replace this template with a more specific media request template where possible.
Wikipedians in Karnataka may be able to help!
The Free Image Search Tool may be able to locate suitable images on Flickr and other web sites.
Since no objection has been raised, I will merge. --BostonMA 13:58, 5 February 2006 (UTC)
- Hi Mattisse, this article was merged with a similar article with a slightly different spelling. Why are you against the merge? --BostonMA talk 20:21, 9 November 2006 (UTC)
- this shows the names of the two articles that were merged. --BostonMA talk 20:24, 9 November 2006 (UTC)
Wait. What is the official or most popular name for this place? Lets use that. Look up a map if possible. I have one at home and can get back later on this one.Dineshkannambadi 18:47, 9 November 2006 (UTC)
Name on Map
I checked on my travel maps (two of them). The name given there is "Sivasamudram". Note the use of "Siva" and not "Shiva". This is because the map was printed in Tamil Nadu (to the east of Karnataka state) where Shiva is pronounced as Siva. I am not sure why it was printed there.Dineshkannambadi 02:45, 10 November 2006 (UTC)
- I find the most frequently encountered name on the intermet and in other Wikipedia articles is "Sivasamudram". 21:12, 11 November 2006 (UTC)~
- Shivanasamudra is the correct name of this place which is famous for its falls.
- Some of the notable websites where this name has been commonly used: A Govt of Karnataka Website, IndiaInfo Travel portal, The Hindu, a national News Paper of India, Karanataka Tourism, Deccan Herald, one of the leading English newspapers in Karnataka
- I request the article Shivasamudram to be merged with this article. Thanks. - KNM Talk 05:35, 18 November 2006 (UTC)
- Also, some of the other Wikipedias use this spelling as well.
- In Kannada language wikipedia, Kannada being the local language of the place and the official language of the state where this place belongs, uses the same spelling as well (ಶಿವನಸಮುದ್ರ). Please refer to Falls in Karnakata, Kaveri river, Srirangapatna articles, for example. - KNM Talk 05:43, 18 November 2006 (UTC)
My interest in a name is for seeking information such as in world databases on waterfalls, and to find photos and articles. I prefer a name under which such information can be found.
- Cauvery Falls - Known Alternate Names: Sivasamudram Falls
- Shivasamudram Falls
- Sivasamudram Map — Satellite Images of Sivasamudram
- Places of interest at Short Distance from Mysore - Sivasamudram
- I think that redirect pages solves the problem of users finding the right page. For example, Queen Elizabeth II is really a redirect page to Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom.
- Redirect pages actually save server effort. If someone types in an alternate spelling, and no page is found, the server does a database search and returns a search page. The user then clicks again to go to the page the user wants. If there is a redirect page for the alternate spelling, the whole search page effort is avoided. It is a great savings. So, in my mind, the question about a page name is thus only a question about what name should appear on that page, and isn't a question about making the page accessible to users who might look for that page under a different name. --BostonMA talk 13:46, 18 November 2006 (UTC)
- Merge and redirect. - Kittybrewster 06:11, 29 December 2006 (UTC)
Not First but Second Hydel Power Station in India
Shivanasamudra cannot be the first Indian hydel station - the Sidrapong Hydel Power Station near Darjeeling was founded already in 1896 and commissioned in 1897. Bangalorius (talk) 09:19, 19 April 2012 (UTC)
I second this, As per wiki itself http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidrapong_Hydel_Power_Station Sidrapong should the first hydro electric station in India and by similar standards Asia Balajis9 (talk) 07:54, 17 December 2013 (UTC)Balajis9
District Mandya or Chamarajanagar?
After someone had written into the article that the place belongs to Mandya District (what I removed since it was on the wrong place and in the wrong way), I crosschecked. Results: On Mandya official district site Shivanasamudra is named, searches for Pincode/Post Office address and Bankcodes resulted also in details that Shivasamudra (the town) belongs to Malavalli Taluk/Mandya district. Could not find further official proofs (e.g. that the falls would not belong to the Shivasamudra municipality or so), but I guess that should be enough facts. So I changed the article data to Mandya District and added half a sentence about the boundary situation - the Kaveri river forms there the boundary between the two districts ; rgds, Bangalorius (talk) 11:57, 30 May 2012 (UTC)