|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
NB, not only ferns produce sporocarps, also fungi, slime molds and red algae. Changed to reflect this.
Merge fruiting body into sporocarp
There is no content on the fruiting body page that cannot be (and hasn't already) been included here on the sporocarp page, but the reverse is not true. Both articles are stubs and have been for a long time, so maintaining the two stubs independently doesn't seem wise. Since the fruiting body page defines it as a synonym of sporocarp, and since "sporocarp" encompasses additional material, the fruiting body article should be converted to a redirect. --EncycloPetey 21:24, 1 January 2007 (UTC)
Splits, merges, etc.
Fungal and fern fruiting body are two very different structures that happen to share the same name. I believe these should be split off into their own articles, with "Sporocarp" serving as a disambiguation page. Additionally, there are a bunch of related proposals concerning ascocarp, basidiocarp, and fruiting body. Here's what I propose:
- Sporocarp – reduce to a disambiguation page.
- Sporocarp (fern) – create from section of this article.
- Sporocarp (fungi) – create from section of this article.
- Fruiting body – reduce to a disambiguation page (since there are bacterial fruiting bodies), merge most content into above article.
- (Alternately, there could be a complete merge into the above article, with a disambiguation statement about "fruiting body" above the beginning of the article.)
- Ascocarp – keep (in pretty good shape)
- Basidiocarp – recreate (should be analogous to the Ascocarp article, discussing different kinds of fruiting body morphology – agarics, boletes, gastroid fungi, etc.)
Let me know what you think. Peter G Werner 04:58, 12 January 2007 (UTC)
- I don't know much about fungal biology but sounds good to me. Anything is better than ad hoc pages Cas Liber 08:38, 12 January 2007 (UTC)
- The proposal seems fine to me. Strobilomyces 21:48, 12 January 2007 (UTC)
- It looks workable to me, though the burden of it would fall on the mycology articles. I can't help thinking there is a better way to handle fruiting body, but offhand can't think of anything to suggest. I wonder though if it might not be best to not have a separate sporocarp (fungi) page, since the fungal sense is the more common meaning by far. --EncycloPetey 03:48, 13 January 2007 (UTC)
Everything's reorganized and this is now a disambiguation article. For discussion of anything other than this disambiguation article, direct any further discussion to Talk:Sporocarp (fungi), Talk:Sporocarp (ferns), Talk:Basidiocarp, or Talk:Ascocarp. Peter G Werner 23:09, 13 January 2007 (UTC)