|This is an archive of past discussions. Do not edit the contents of this page. If you wish to start a new discussion or revive an old one, please do so on the current talk page.|
|Archive 1||Archive 2|
This should be an article about, well, wrestling. So I took some stuff from other pages and threw it together to make a semblance of an article. It should be expanded and illustrated, but details about individual styles of wrestling should be kept on their respective pages. Zocky 02:54, 28 September 2005 (UTC)
This is a mess. I'll mark it for later but I agree with Mytildebang that this should be pared down with links to relevant articles elsewhere on Wikipedia, such as sumo and catch wrestling. As a pointer it has a future but should not try to be all things to all people. Rorybowman 06:08, 28 December 2005 (UTC)
- I must disagree. There is much to be written about the common origins and features of all kinds of wrestling. This can be made into a good introductory article on the general subject. Zocky 09:30, 4 January 2006 (UTC)
- 1 weird edit
- 2 Deleted?
- 3 Olympic Wrestling
- 4 Recent Edits and suggestions for Cleanup
- 5 What the f**k ???????
- 6 Mongolian Wrestling
- 7 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
- 8 Judo Wrestling?
- 9 Wrestling as military training
- 10 Escapes
- 11 Professional wrestling vs. wrestling
- 12 Merge with Grappling?
- 13 Wrestling as military training
- 14 Cleanup of Amateur Wrestling Articles?
- 15 definition
- 16 Folkstyle
- 17 Possible reasons for vandalism?
- 18 Vandalized Again
I'm just wondering why my addition was just deleted. I added a section titled "Articles dealing with wrestling" and posted under it an article about a father who was going to sue because someone forfieted (sp?) a wrestling match with his daughter. You can read that article here. Was it deleted because children-wrestling wasn't deemed important enough?
- Howdy Alex! That seems a pretty good guess, although not being the person who deleted the links, I can't say for certain. One of the things which happens on Wikipedia pretty frequently is for someone to post a link that seems a blatant advertisement or tangential at best, usually without signing in (by creating a User account). Links from anonymous users which are not clearly relevant and a major contribution are deleted almost routinely, just to keep the articles tidy. For further details on why this is the case you may wish to check out What Wikipedia is Not. If you plan to stick around and contribute I would strongly encourage you to get a user account (a link to create an account should be in the upper right-hand corner of the Wikipedia page), as this is the best way to connect with folks and learn the "rules of the road" and customs here. Thanks for asking! Almost everyone has a few early edits reverted until they get the hang of it. Enjoy! - Rorybowman 15:27, 17 January 2006 (UTC)
i'm unfamiliar with the topic, but would anyone in the know add a section about olympic wrestling, including rules and how to score? Streamless 20:23, 14 February 2006 (UTC)
- This would be covered on the article for either freestyle or greco-roman wrestling, the two types of wrestling represented in the Olympics.
Recent Edits and suggestions for Cleanup
The article does not need mention of various folk wrestling disciplines as the are mentioned in the seperate folk wrestling article.
Also,RINGS Submission fighting is a system based on catch wrestling created by Akira Maeda for fighting network RINGS after the breakup of the UWF,Japan.It's based on catch wrestling and emphasises on submissions.
Submission fighting as propogated by the takada dojo is based on Karl Gotch's techniques of shoot wrestling.It is a style of submission based fighting independent of bjj using catch wrestling as an alternative.
The article can use styling,grammer corrections and additions of a few pics,though.Thank you````
Someone find a way to align some images to the left without messing up with styling,and a grammer patrol would do all the good in the world to the article.Freedom skies 04:34, 12 March 2006 (UTC)
What the f**k ???????
who removed all the categories of wrestling and wrote some nonsense about a kid "we all hope to see more of in the future" ??? ??? I restored the document to normalacy, please don't rape it again. Freedom skies 11:21, 15 March 2006 (UTC)
- In what the f**k part2, the line about wrestlers being gay and wrestling being a cute sport and all ..................... to whoever did it, you were not even funny, so please refrain from anal raping the article again. Thank you.Freedom skies
Added Mongolian Wrestling, but can someone fix the link?
I added a mention of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (somewhat similar to Judo) to the "see also" section. It would probably be worth adding a sentence or two about this sport to the main text, but I don't see where it should logically go. -- 126.96.36.199 06:40, 24 April 2006 (UTC)
Judo is a form of grappling, but would you consider it wrestling? If so, then BJJ and other forms of grappling should also be considered grappling... -- Jimmy C. 06:42, 7 May 2006 (UTC)
Wrestling as military training
this looks slightly weird - how wide are the sources used for this? also, this skews whole article - it is a whole lot larger section than others. what are figures for how big military wrestling is compared to rest? and does this matter therefore in determining the shape of the page? i am a patriot but for a world encyclopaedia we can use other pictures than of our military!Extremeweb 21:15, 14 May 2006 (UTC)
Could someone who knows grappling and grappling holds right a page for escapes or at least a subsection for escapes. I would do it, but as a Taekwondoist am not very knowledgeable.
Professional wrestling vs. wrestling
In working on this article today, I noticed that there are many links to it that are really related to professional wrestling, which is an entirely different topic and completely unrelated to the competitive youth, collegiate and Olympic sport of wrestling (which is this article). All of those really should be redirected to the professional wrestling page since it only furthers the confusion about this article (on the sport) and the professional wrestling article (on the entertainment activity that, in my view, should not even be called wrestling). Any assistance with this would be appreciated.
Also, this article could be considerably strengthened with more information on some of the best wrestlers in the history of the sport and some of the best high school and collegiate teams. I was only able (for now) to reference those vaguely by geography and by listing a few of the most prominent colleges and universities in the sport. Thanks. PAWiki 08:43, 30 September 2006 (UTC)
Merge with Grappling?
Both this page and the Grappling page point to each other as synonyms, but neither explains why or if the two are any different. Perhaps a merge is in order?
- Oppose a merger. In my experience and opinion, "wrestling" refers to the sport, and grappling to the set of techniques. Also, wrestling is generally used by people involved in the amateur styles, and grappling tends to be used by people involved in mixed martial arts. I disagree that they're synonyms, and I think merging the pages will combine two different interest-groups that don't need to be combined. Mytildebang 19:09, 22 November 2006 (UTC)
- Oppose a merger. Although under a certain definition, the two terms are almost interchangeable, wrestling has a significance distinct from grappling in that wrestling also refers to a category of sports and a specific aspect of grappling - i.e. that of positional control, for the most part. The words are sufficiently distinct to merit separate articles and should be kept separate for the reasons listed above.
- Oppose a merger. Wrestling is the oldest form of combat and competition in human history and grappling was born of this type of wrestling. I consider the two related as much as father and son, but the son has developed enough of an identity to have his own page. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Penciljunk (talk • contribs) 13:15, 23 February 2007 (UTC).
Grappling is more wide term, it incorporates both western styles of wrestling and jacketed grappling, like sambo, judo, etc. So it's no sense to merge grappling with wrestling sections!
Wrestling as military training
I'd like to remove the lengthy block quote or move this to its own article if there's enough additional material to merit one. Any comments? Mytildebang 18:43, 27 November 2006 (UTC)
It's no good, as far as the block gives a really good deal of information about the application of wrestling in real life, in particular in miliary training.
"touching eachothers medicine is what this shit is all about"
Dont know who, dont know why, prolly should be deleted.
Cleanup of Amateur Wrestling Articles?
It seems that there should be some cleanup on the amateur wrestling articles. There's a great deal that can be discussed about this sport, which is among the most popular high school sports, which has a rich history as the world's oldest sport known, which is currently the subject of controversial cuts in collegiate programs throughout the United States, which has so many different forms around the world...
There are redundant articles in "wrestling," "amateur wrestling," "College wrestling" and others. None of them have the specific focus needed to address the subject. I'm thinking of making some kind of contribution here, although I haven't really edited Wikipedia before, so I need to wet my feet first... however, if there are others out there who are already taking charge of this page, maybe they can take this opportunity to figure out how to incorporate the content from some of the other pages too.
188.8.131.52 22:15, 30 December 2006 (UTC) Eric Cromb
i was wondering why someone practically deleted my definition of wrestling, i submitted it about a year ago and reworded it right off of dictionary.com, i still see hints of it in there such as "without the use of striking" but seriously? it seems like people went all out to change this article, they even took out the pic that accompanied the headlined wrestling/military subtopic —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 04:18, 18 February 2007 (UTC).
Could someone please add a section about folkstyle wrestling, as it is considered a variation of wrestling? Folkstyle is a very common style of wrestling and is used in collegiate(sp?) and lower leveled competitions.
Bigfootman777 18:56, 19 February 2007 (UTC)
Possible reasons for vandalism?
Although I do not know anyone who is a vandal of a wrestling page, I think one possible reason is because this is the season for High School wrestling (and in Iowa at least) the State Wrestling tournaments. What ever is on the student's minds is what they will vandalize. (Note: My comment may be removed after the vandalism has calmed down to a level so it is no longer on the WikiDefcon charts.) Kshannon 05:52, 1 March 2007 (UTC)