Taman Ismail Marzuki
|Ismail Marzuki Park|
|Taman Ismail Marzuki (Indonesian)|
|Location||Jalan Cikini Raya, Jakarta|
|Created||November 10, 1968|
Taman Ismail Marzuki, popularly known as TIM, or in English as the Jakarta Cultural Centre, is an arts, cultural, and science center located in Central Jakarta, Indonesia. The Taman Ismail Marzuki complex comprises a number of facilities including six performing arts theatres, cinemas, an exhibition hall, a gallery and an archive building. The complex also previously housed the Jakarta Art Institute and Jakarta Planetarium. TIM is named after Ismail Marzuki, one of Indonesia's most influential composers.
Cultural performances often take place in this cultural center, including dance, drama and music performances, poetry reading, sculpture, painting and art exhibitions, and film festival screenings.
Inaugurated by Jakarta Governor Ali Sadikin, on 10 November 1968, the 90 meter square cultural center was built on the former Taman Raden Saleh, a public park established and owned by Raden Saleh,who was a famous Indonesian painter during the colonial Dutch East Indies era. Taman Raden Saleh was previously Jakarta's zoo and a public park, before the being moved to Ragunan Zoo. Taman Raden Saleh previously hosted a Greyhound racing arena, a cinema, a Garden Hall and a podium.
- Graha Bhakti Budaya, a performing art hall with an 800 seat capacity, 600 on the ground floor and 200 on the balcony. The stage measures 15m x 10m x 6m. This air conditioned hall is equipped with lighting, acoustic tecnology and sound systems; and stages musical concerts, performing arts such as drama, traditional or contemporary dances, and also film screenings.
- Galeri Cipta II and Galeri Cipta III, are two galleries housing fine arts, paintings and sculpture exhibitions, art discussions, seminars, and short film screenings. These galleries can contain 80 paintings and 20 sculptures.
- Teater Kecil or Teater Studio is a smaller performing art studio with a capacity of 200. Theater, music, poetry and seminars are staged here. The stage measures 10m x 5m x 6m. The building equipped with acoustic and lighting systems and is air conditioned.
- Teater Halaman or Studio Pertunjukan Seni is an open air auditorium for experimental art for young artist's theater and for poetry performances.
- Plaza: the courtyard of TIM is sometimes used as additional space to stage outdoor performing arts.
- Merrillees 2015, p. 131.