|Birth name||Tammar Anika Chin|
|Born||14 June 1984|
|Genres||Reggae fusion, dancehall, pop|
|Labels||Universal/SRC/Konvict Muzik (former)|
|Associated acts||Akon, Sean Paul, Wayne Marshall, Tessanne Chin|
Tammar Anika Chin (born 14 June 1984), known by her stage name Tami Chynn, is a Jamaican singer, songwriter, and dancer.
Chynn was born in Kingston, Jamaica. Her father, Richard Chin, is of Chinese and Cherokee descent and her mother, Christine Chin, is of English and African descent. Her parents were in a band called The Carnations and her younger sister, Tessanne Chin is also a singer, best known for winning Season 5 of the American singing competition The Voice as part of Adam Levine's team.
Tami grew up in the parish of St. Andrew and attended St. Peter and Paul Preparatory School. She later attended Campion College in St. Andrew, Jamaica. In 1998, at age 14, she moved to Leamington Spa, UK where she spent three years studying the performing arts and in 2001, at age 17, moved back to Jamaica where she worked on her music career and recorded her first single "Rock U."
In 2010, Tami collaborated with Slovakian born Jamaica fashion designer Lubica Kucerova to create the Anuna and Anuna Goddess collections. The collection debuted at 2010 Fashion Art Toronto: Alternative Arts Fashion Week. Later that year, the duo would be nominated at The Jamaica Observer Style Awards and win the Designer of the Year Award.
2005–2007: Beginnings and Out of Many... One
Before pursuing music, she toured with fellow Jamaican artist Shaggy as a backup dancer on his Caught Red Handed Tour. In early 2005 she travelled to Los Angeles to perform for Universal Motown Records and in May she was signed to the major label,at age 24, for a four album deal. Before releasing her debut album in the US she appeared in recordings with international Reggae stars: Beenie Man, Lady Saw and Sean Paul on his album The Trinity for the track "All on Me".
In March 2006, she was nominated for Best New Entertainer Award at the International Reggae and World Music Awards, but lost the award to reggae artist Matisyahu. Leading up to the release of her debut album, Out of Many...One she toured clubs around the US for promotion.
Later in 2006 she released her first US single "Hyperventilating" which became a hit on the internet that summer but wasn't a mainstream success. During that summer she released her first album Out of Many...One which also failed to chart in the US but managed to peak at No. 41 on the Japanese Oricon charts. In 2007 her song "Over and Over" appeared on the compilations.
2008–present: New record label and Prima Donna
In 2008 Tami was noticed by Akon, who signed her up to his label Konvict Muzik and began production of her second album Prima Donna. Recording of the album began in January in Akon's Atlanta studios with Akon and RedOne executive producing the album. "Frozen" (featuring Akon), the lead single for the album, was released in August 2008. In March she toured the UK and made an appearance on BBC Radio 1Xtra, on 22 March 2008 with Akon and performed Frozen.
In September 2008, she starred in a Pepsi commercial alongside Verne Troyer, T-Pain and Shaggy doing a cover of Carl Douglas' classic disco song Kung Fu Fighting with vocals from Akon. During October 2008 she opened for New Kids on the Block on their New Kids on the Block Tour alongside Lady Gaga, Natasha Bedingfield and Colby O'Donis. She also appeared in the video "I'm So Paid" by Akon. After cutting ties with Universal, Prima Donna remains unreleased; however, Tami Chynn has stated she is currently at work on a third album that is to become a second release.
In 2011, Jennifer Lopez re-recorded "Hypnotico," a song Chynn had written with Lady Gaga and RedOne and recorded for her unreleased second album Prima Donna for Lopez's seventh studio album Love? released 3 May 2011 in the United States.
Chynn married fellow reggae/dancehall artist Wayne Marshall in 2009. The two have one child together.
|Year||Album||Peak chart positions||Sales||Certifications|
|2006||Out of Many...One||41
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that territory.|
|US||US Dance Club Play||US Dance Airplay||JPN|
|2001||"Rock U" (feat. Kid Kurup)||—||—||—||—||Single Only|
|2004||"Hyperventilating (Stepz Medly)"||—||—||—||—|
|"Ice Breaker Medley (Gimme Good)"||—||—||—||—|
|"Tell Mi Seh"||—||—||—||—||Out of Many...One|
|"Over and Over Again"||—||—||—||—|
|2008||"Frozen" (feat. Akon)||—||3||17||80||Prima Donna|
|2010||"Certified Diva" (feat. Tifa)||—||—||—||—||Single Only|
|"Nevah Know (Wicked Inna Bed)"||—||—||—||—||Bad Suh Riddim|
|2011||"Long Time"||—||—||—||—||Single Only||"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that territory.|
As featured artist
|"Don't You Go"||Elan (feat. Tami Chynn)||Together as One|
|"All on Me"||Sean Paul (feat. Tami Chynn)||The Trinity|
|"Ice Breaker Riddim Medley"||(feat. Tami Chynn, Voicemail, Wayne Marshall, Kid Kurupt, Christopher, Assassin, Busy Signal)||Single only|
|"Hot Part 2"||Le7is aka Jonathan Edward Chisolm (feat. Tami Chynn)|
|"Arguin"||Wayne Marshall (feat. Tami Chynn)|
|"Why"||Wayne Marshall (feat. Tami Chynn)|
|"Take Me Back Remix"||Tinchy Stryder (feat. Tami Chynn, Taio Cruz, Sway and Chipmunk)|
|"Can You Feel Me"||Michael Bolton (feat. Tami Chynn)||One World One Love|
|"Sycamore Tree"||Sean Paul (feat. Tami Chynn)||Single|
|2001||"Rock U"||Ras Kassa|
|2004||"Hyperventilating (Stepz Medly)"||Nordia Rose|
|"Ice Breaker Medley (Gimme Good)"||Nadia & Naylor|
|"Tell Mi Seh"||Nadia & Naylor|
|"Over and Over Again"|
- "Tami Chynn – Dancehall's Princess of Pop". ReggaeReport.com. 31 March 2008.
- "Tami Chynn". ReggaeReport.com. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "Tami Chynn: The Princess of Eclectic Dancehall". Vibe.com. 30 May 2006.
- "TessAnne Chin: Out of many One Voices, A big voice". jamaicans.com. 25 June 2007.
- "‘The Voice’ Crowns Season-Five Winner". MTV. 2013-12-17. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "Web Hosting, Domain Names, VPS & SSL Certificates - VentraIP Australia". Planeturban.com.au. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "Dancing to 'anÃºna' beat! - All Woman". JamaicaObserver.com. 2010-04-05. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "Google Translate". Translate.google.com. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- Tami Chynn signs four-album deal with Universal Records Jamaica Observer. Retrieved 4 May 2008.
- "Tami Chynn – Out of Many... One". MusicRemedy.com. 17 April 2008.
- Tami Chynn: The Princess of Eclectic Dancehall Vibe Magazine. Retrieved 4 May 2008.
- New Artist: Tami Chynn The Movement. Retrieved 15 May 2008.[unreliable source?]
- Tami Chynn ft. Akon – Frozen DJBooth.net. Retrieved 15 May 2008.
- Official Japanese Charts. Oricon. Retrieved 4 May 2008.
- Biggest One Drop Anthems 2007 Greensleeves Records. Retrieved 4 May 2008.
- Strictly The Best Vol. 38 CD , CD Universe. Retrieved 4 May 2008.
- "Talking With Konvict Muzik’s Bu Thiam" Making The Mogul. Retrieved 11 May 2008.
- TAMI CHYNN: 'Prima Donna' Taking Control The Jamaica Observer. Retrieved 11 May 2008.
- Yard Report (31 March 2008). Tami Chynn – Dancehall's Princess of Pop ReggaeReport.com. Retrieved 15 April 2008.
- Pepsi Commercial (Tami Chynn, Verne Troyer, T-Pain & Shaggy)
- Pop Artist Tami Chynn to Open for New Kids On The Block – Detroit, MI Palace of Auburn Hills kickmag.net. Retrieved 23 September 2008.
- "YouTube". Au.youtube.com. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "'The Voice' Winner Tessanne Chin Signs With ICM Partners (Exclusive)". Hollywoodreporter.com. 2014-02-12. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- Is Tami Chynn Pregnant for Wayne Marshall? VibeOne. Retrieved 15 May 2008.
- Ras Kassa. tami chynn featuring kid kurup rock u Music video director for Rock U. Retrieved 8 September 2008.[dead link]
- Tami Chynn's New Video Yard Flex. 1 March 2006. Retrieved 8 September 2008.
- Jigga, Tami Chynn – Jamaica's New Dancehall Sensation Yard Flex. 20 October 2005. Retrieved 8 September 2008.
- October 2005 – Tami Chynn Video Tim Naylor. Retrieved 23 August 2008.
- Official Site
- Official Japan Site
- Record Label Page
- Certified Diva on YouTube
- Fan Blog