Tao Ruspoli's self portrait
November 7, 1975 |
|Residence||Venice, Los Angeles, California|
|Citizenship||Italy and United States|
|Occupation||Filmmaker, musician, photographer|
|Spouse(s)||Olivia Wilde (m. 2003; div. 2011)|
Tao Ruspoli (born November 7, 1975) is an Italian-American filmmaker, photographer, and musician.
Ruspoli was born in Bangkok, Thailand, and raised in Rome, Italy and Los Angeles, California. He is the second son of occasional actor and aristocrat Prince Alessandro Ruspoli, 9th Prince of Cerveteri and Austrian-American actress Debra Berger. He is the older brother of Bartolomeo Ruspoli (born 6 October 1978 in Rome), second husband of oil heiress Aileen Getty. His half-siblings include Francesco, 10th Prince of Cerveteri; Melusine, and Theodoro dei principi Ruspoli.
Tao´s feature narrative début, Fix, was one of 10 feature films to screen in competition at the 2008 Slamdance Film Festival and soon afterward at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival where Ruspoli was awarded the Heineken Red Star Award for "most innovative and progressive filmmaker". Fix also won the Festival Award for Best Film at the 2008 Brooklyn Film Festival, Vail Film Festival and the 2008 Twin Rivers Media Festival, as well as other prizes at several international festivals.
His most well-known documentaries are Being in the World, an exploration of the real world implications of the philosophical work of Martin Heidegger, and Just Say Know, a personal discussion of his family's drug addiction. His other films include Flamenco: A Personal Journey, a feature-length documentary about the flamenco way of life as it is lived by Gypsies in the south of Spain. He has directed a number of other short documentaries, including El Cable (also about Flamenco), and This Film Needs No Title: A Portrait of Raymond Smullyan (a portrait of the renowned logician, mathematician and concert pianist Raymond Smullyan).
He founded LAFCO in 2000. The Los Angeles Filmmakers Cooperative, is a bohemian collective of filmmakers and musicians who work out of a converted school bus. Through LAFCO, Ruspoli has produced several films.
Tao is an accomplished flamenco guitar player.
He married actress Olivia Wilde on 7 June 2003 in Washington, Virginia. On 8 February 2011, they announced that they were separating. Wilde filed for divorce in Los Angeles County Superior Court on 3 March 2011, citing "irreconcilable differences". The divorce was finalized on 29 September 2011. Wilde did not seek spousal support, and the pair reached a private agreement on property division.
- Just Say Know (2002) Director, Cinematographer and Film editor
- This Film Needs No Title: A Portrait of Raymond Smullyan (2004) Director, Cinematographer and Film editor
- El Cable (2004) Director, Cinematographer, Editor and Film producer
- Flamenco: A Personal Journey (2005) Director, Cinematographer and Film producer
- Camjackers (2006) Whack Filmmaker No. 1 and also Film editor and Executive Producer
- Fix (2008) Writer, Cinematographer, director, and Actor (as Milo)
- Behind the Wheel (2008) Film director
- Being in the World (2009) Film director
- Flamenco, (Mapleshade, 2005)
- "Obituaries: Prince Dado Ruspoli". The Daily Telegraph. 2005-01-15. Retrieved 2017-03-21.
- West, Kevin (April 2009). "Celluloid Prince". W magazine. Retrieved 2017-03-21.
- Rizzo, Monica (2007-11-12). "Olivia Wilde". People Magazine. Retrieved 2017-03-21.
- Jordan, Julie (2011-02-08). "Olivia Wilde Separates from Husband Tao Ruspoli". People Magazine. Retrieved 2017-03-21.
- Gopalan, Nisha (2011-03-11). "Olivia Wilde Divorces Tao Ruspoli". People Magazine. Retrieved 2017-03-21.
- Fleeman, Mike (2011-10-03). "Olivia Wilde Divorce Finalized". People Magazine. Retrieved 2017-03-21.