Tara Bai-class patrol vessel
This article has an unclear citation style. Learn how and when to remove this template message)(January 2013) (
|Operators:||Indian Coast Guard|
|Type:||Coastal patrol vessel|
|Length:||44.9 m (147 ft)|
|Beam:||7.0 m (23.0 ft)|
|Draught:||1.89 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Installed power:||2 × MTU 12V538 TB82 diesels|
|Propulsion:||2 × 4-blade propellers, 5,940 bhp (4,430 kW)|
|Range:||2,400 nmi (4,400 km; 2,800 mi) at 12 kn (22 km/h; 14 mph)|
|Complement:||5 officers, 29 enlisted|
|BEL make-1*Decca 1226 navigation radar|
The Tara Bai class of coastal patrol vessels is a series of six watercraft built by Singapore Slipway & Engineering and Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers, Kolkata for Indian Coast Guard. They are intended for search and rescue, fisheries patrol and sovereignty patrol.
The vessels in this class are 45 metres (148 ft) long with a beam of 7 metres (23 ft) and are armed with a 40 mm 60 cal Bofors Mk 3 AA. The hull design of Tara Bai class is based on standard Lurssen 45-m hull steel construction. They are powered by two MTU 12V538 TB82 diesel engines and have two propellers with four blades. The vessels have various communication and navigation equipment including HF/DF and echo sounder and an autopilot.
The vessels carries 30 tonnes of fuel and has a range 2,400 nautical miles (4,400 km; 2,800 mi) at a cruising speed of 12 knots (22 km/h; 14 mph). They carry ten tonnes of fresh water with a three ton/day distiller and have an endurance of 7 days. They have a five-ton bollard towing hook and a rigid inflatable boat. They have air-conditioned accommodation for a crew of 5 officers and 29 enlisted sailors.
Ships of the class
|Name||Pennant Number||Date of Commission||Date of Decommission||Homeport|
|ICGS Tara Bai||71||26 June 87||18 July 2013||Porbandar|
|ICGS Ahalya Bai||72||9 September 87||21 December 2013||Tuticorin|
|ICGS Laxmi Bai||73||20 March 89||Decommissioned 2013||Kochi|
|ICGS Akka Devi||74||9 August 90||20 March 2014||Andaman & Nicobar Islands|
|ICGS Naiki Devi||75||19 March 90||20 March 2014||Tuticorin|
|ICGS Ganga Devi||76||19 November 90||Decommissioned 2014||Andaman & Nicobar Islands|
- Rajshree class
- Rani Abbaka class
- Sarojini Naidu class
- Priyadarshini class
- Rajhans class
- Jija Bai class
- Wertheim, Eric (2007). The Naval Institute Guide to Combat Fleets of the World: Their Ships, Aircraft, and Systems (15th ed.). Naval Institute Press. ISBN 9781591149552.
- "New Page 1". www.indiancoastguard.nic.in. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- "English Releases". Retrieved 2015-12-28.
- "Coast Guard bids adieu to 'Ahalyabai'". The Hindu. 2013-12-21. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- "Indian Coast Guard".
- "Indian Coast Guard: Inshore Patrol Vessels by Hindustan Shipyard Limited". www.marinebuzz.com. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- "Maldivian ship MV Sea Angel sinks off Kochi". Sify. Retrieved 2015-12-28.
- "Two ICG ships decommissioned after 24 years of service - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2015-12-28.
- "Indian Coast Guard".