Rani Abbakka-class patrol vessel
|Name:||Rani Abbakka class|
|Builders:||Hindustan Shipyard Ltd., Visakhapatnam, India|
|Operators:||Indian Coast Guard|
|Type:||Inshore patrol vessel|
|Length:||50 m (164 ft 1 in)|
|Beam:||8.36 m (27 ft 5 in)|
|Draught:||2.1 m (6 ft 11 in)|
|Speed:||34 knots (63 km/h; 39 mph)|
|Range:||1,500 nmi (2,800 km; 1,700 mi) at 14 kn (26 km/h; 16 mph)|
|Boats & landing
|1 × rigid inflatable boat|
|Complement:||5 Officers and 34 Sailors|
The Rani Abbakka-class patrol vessel are a series of inshore patrol vessels being built by Hindustan Shipyard Ltd. for the Indian Coast Guard. They are based on Australian Thornycroft design. The ship, incidentally, is named after Abbakka Mahadevi, the legendary queen of Tulunadu, Karnataka who fought the Portuguese in the latter half of the 16th Century.
The vessels have a length of 50 meters, beam of 8 metres, draught of 4.5 metres and have weight of 275 Tonnes. They are powered by three MTU 4000 series diesel engines of 2720 KW capacity at 2100-rpm each coupled with three 71S II Rolls Royce waterjets with top speed of 31.5 knots and an endurance of 1,500 nautical miles at cruise speed of 14 knots. The patrol vessels are fitted with an advanced Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS), to carryout search and rescue operations. Other features include Integrated Bridge System (IBS), Machinery Control System, Infra-red Communication System. Armament consist of one CRN 91 Naval Gun along with its fire control system. They also carry one rigid inflatable boat. The ship's crew consists of five officers and 34 men.
Ships of the class
The first of the series ICGS Rani Abbakka was launched on 28 May 2009 at Hindustan Shipyard Limited, Visakhapatnam. It was commissioned, at Visakhapatnam, by MM Pallam Raju, Defense state minister on 20 January 2012 in the presence of Vice Admiral Anil Chopra, AVSM, Flag Officer Commanding in Chief (East), Vice Admiral MP Muralidharan, AVSM NM Director General Indian Coast Guard. The second ship of the series, ICGS Rani Avantibai, was handed over to the Indian Coast Guard on 8 May 2013. It was commissioned on 9 May 2013 by Sri Jitendra Singh, Union Minister of State for Defence. The third ship of the series, ICGS Rani Durgvati, was commissioned at Visakhapatnam by Eastern Naval Command Chief Vice Admiral Satish Soni. The fourth ship of the series, ICGS Rani Gaidinliu, was commissioned at Visakhapatnam by Director General of Indian Coast Guard Rajendra Singh on 19 October 2016.
An additional 8 ships were ordered (Phase-2) of the Rani Abbakka class inshore patrol vessel.
|Yard No||Name||Pennant No||Launched||Commissioning||Homeport||Status|
|11154||ICGS Rani Abbakka||77||28 May 2009||20 January 2012||Chennai||Active|
|11155||ICGS Rani Avanti Bai||78||4 November 2009||9 May 2013||Visakhapatnam||Active|
|11156||ICGS Rani Durgavati||79||15 May 2010||6 July 2015||Karaikal||Active|
|11157||ICGS Rani Gaidinliu||80||6 November 2010||19 October 2016||Krishnapatnam||Active|
|11158||ICGS Rani Rashmoni||15 July 2011||Fitting out|
- Solas Marine Fast Interceptor Boat
- L&T Interceptor Class fast attack crafts
- Couach fast interceptor boats
- Cochin Fast Patrol Vessels
- Rajshree-class patrol vessel
- ABG fast interceptor craft
- Alcock Ashdown Survey Catamaran
- Manoram class ferry
- "COMMISSIONING OF 4 th INSHORE PATROL VESSEL (IPV) ICGS RANI GAIDINLIU" (PDF). indiancoastguard.gov.in. 19 October 2016. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "Coast Guard Inducts New Indigenous IPV Rani Abbakka". Livefist. Retrieved 2016-11-01.
- "Press Information Bureau English Releases". Press Information Bureau, Govt. of India. 2012. Retrieved 11 July 2012.
- "HSL hands over patrol vessel to Coast Guard - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2016-01-04.
- "Indian Coast Guard: Inshore Patrol Vessels by Hindustan Shipyard Limited". www.marinebuzz.com. Retrieved 2016-01-04.
- "IPV 'Rani Avantibai' to be commissioned into Coast Guard". timesofindia-economictimes. Retrieved 2015-12-26.
- "Coast Guard commissions 3rd IPV 'Rani Durgavati' at Vizag - The Economic Times". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2015-12-26.
- "HSL 60th Annual Report" (PDF).
- "India commissions third Rani Abbakka-class inshore patrol vessel | IHS Jane's 360". www.janes.com. Retrieved 2016-01-04.
- "First of Five Inshore Patrol Vessel Commissioned Into Coast Guard". www.defencenow.com. Retrieved 2015-12-26.
- "HSL-Built Coast Guard IPV Rani Durgavati Commissioned". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2016-01-04.
- "First of Five Inshore Patrol Vessel Commissioned Into Coast Guard". defencenow.com.
- "Rani Abbakka". deagel.com.
- http://articles.janes.com/articles/Janes-Navy-International-2012/India-commissions-first-IPV-after-delays.html Design & commission
- http://www.thornycroftmaritime.com.au/ Design house