|Chogyal of Sikkim|
|Reign||5 December 1914 - 2 December 1963|
|Born||26 October 1893|
|Died||2 December 1963(aged 70)|
Tashi Namgyal (Sikkimese: བཀྲ་ཤིས་རྣམ་རྒྱལ་; Wylie: Bkra-shis Rnam-rgyal) (26 October 1893 – 2 December 1963) was the ruling Chogyal (King) of Sikkim from 1914 to 1963. He was the son of Thutob Namgyal.
Namgyal was the 11th ruler of the Namgyal dynasty of Sikkim, succeeding his half brother Sidkeong Tulku Namgyal, who had ruled from February to December in 1914, till his death from heart failure. Born in Tibet and crowned by the 13th Dalai Lama, Thubten Gyatso, he was a strong advocate for closer links with India.
He was married in October 1918 to Kunzang Dechen, and they had 3 sons and 3 daughters. The eldest son died in a plane crash during World War Two. On his death he was succeeded as Chogyal by his second son Palden Thondup Namgyal.
During his reign, he is known for land reform and free elections. He also favoured closer links between Sikkim, India and Tibet. Many people attribute his death to Indian agents.
About a decade after his death, his son Palden Thondup Namgyal, the incumbent hereditary Chogyal, was formally deposed to join the Indian Union. Prime Minister Lendup Dorji appealed to India to change the status of Sikkim from protectorate to statehood. On 16 May 1975, Sikkim was officially made the 22nd state of the Indian Union.
- 1893 - 1914: Prince Tashi Namgyal
- 1914 - 1918: His Highness Sri Panch Maharaja Tashi Namgyal, Maharaja Chogyal of Sikkim
- 1918 - 1923: His Highness Sri Panch Maharaja Tashi Namgyal, Maharaja Chogyal of Sikkim, CIE
- 1923 - 1939: His Highness Sri Panch Maharaja Sir Tashi Namgyal, Maharaja Chogyal of Sikkim, KCIE
- 1939 - 1963: His Highness Sri Panch Maharaja Sir Tashi Namgyal, Maharaja Chogyal of Sikkim, KCSI, KCIE
- Delhi Durbar Medal, 11 December 1911.
- CIE: Companion of the Order of the Indian Empire, 1 January 1918.
- KCIE: Knight Commander of the Order of the Indian Empire, 1 January 1923.
- King George V Silver Jubilee Medal, 6 May 1935.
- King George VI Coronation Medal, 12 May 1937.
- KCSI: Knight Commander of the Order of the Star of India, 8 June 1939.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tashi Namgyal.|
Tashi NamgyalBorn: 26 October 1893 Died: 2 December 1963
Sidkeong Tulku Namgyal
|Chogyal of Sikkim
1914 - 1963
Palden Thondup Namgyal