Tattoo (Rory Gallagher album)
|Studio album by Rory Gallagher|
|Released||11 November 1973|
|Studio||Polydor Records, London|
|Length||58:52 (1999 reissue)|
|Label||Polydor 2383 230 (UK)
Polydor 5539 (USA)
|Rory Gallagher chronology|
|Rolling Stone||(not rated)|
Tattoo is the fifth studio album released by Rory Gallagher. It demonstrated Gallagher's eclectic range of musical influences starting with the blues and adding elements from jazz, folk, and country.
Tattoo showcased the skill of Gallagher and his band across a number of genres from Delta and Chicago blues, the jazz-influenced "They Don't Make Them Like You Anymore" and blues-rock tracks such as "Tattoo'd Lady". According to his brother Gallagher was in a "prolific and confident mood" when he recorded it. The album showcased Gallagher's writing ability resulting in several songs that would go on to become staples of his live act. Tattoo'd Lady reflects Gallagher's love for the fairground life and its similarities to life on the road. "Cradle Rock" was inspired by the happy coincidence that Gallagher "rocked literally all his life" having been born at the "Rock Hospital" in Ballyshannon, Ireland. "Cradle Rock" was also covered by Joe Bonamassa as the first track on his debut album A New Day Yesterday. Tattoo illustrates Gallagher's proficiency with all manner of guitar playing from acoustic to electric, various types of slide guitar, and mandolin. On the song "they don't make them like you anymore" Rory used the bouzouki of Greek virtouso Manolis Chiotis. Rory was a big fan of the Greek virtuoso, and as a tribute played "Perasmenes mou agapes" as an intro to the above-mentioned song.
All songs composed by Rory Gallagher except where noted.
- "Tattoo'd Lady" – 4:34
- "Cradle Rock" – 6:15
- "20:20 Vision" – 4:02
- "They Don't Make Them Like You Anymore" – 4:05
- "Livin' Like a Trucker" – 4:19
- "Sleep on a Clothes Line" – 5:13
- "Who's That Coming" – 7:09
- "A Million Miles Away" – 6:55
- "Admit It" – 4:19
CD bonus track
Track listing on French LP
- Side 1 : Tattoo'd Lady - They Don't Make... - A Million Miles Away - Who's That Coming - Livin' Like a Trucker
- Side 2 : Cradle Rock - Admit It - 20:20 Vision - Sleep on a Clothes Line
- Rory Gallagher – guitars, vocals, harmonica, saxophone, mandolin, bouzouki
- Gerry McAvoy – bass guitar
- Lou Martin – keyboards, accordion
- Rod de'Ath – drums, percussion
- Tattoo at AllMusic
- Dupree, Tom (14 March 1974). "Rory Gallagher: Tattoo : Music Reviews : Rolling Stone". web.archive.org. Archived from the original on 14 February 2009. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- Gallagher, Donal. "Liner Notes for Tattoo".
- Horowitz, Hal. "Rory Gallagher Tattoo". Allmusic. Retrieved 10 June 2013.