|The Most Reverend
|Bishop of Helsinki|
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Diocese||Roman Catholic Diocese of Helsinki|
|Appointed||16 June 2009|
|Installed||5 September 2009|
|Ordination||28 May 1977|
|Consecration||5 September 2009
by Karl Lehmann
May 20, 1947 |
|Alma mater||Albert Ludwig University, Freiburg|
|Motto||Christus fons vitae (Christ is the source of life)|
|Coat of arms|
|Reference style||The Most Reverend|
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
|Posthumous style||not applicable|
Teemu Jyrki Juhani Sippo S.C.I. (born 20 May 1947 in Lahti, Finland) is the current Roman Catholic Bishop of Helsinki. He is the first Finnish-born Roman Catholic Bishop since Arvid Kurck (1464–1522).
Teemu Sippo was born as a Lutheran, and converted to Roman Catholicism in 1966 while he was in his late teens; four years later he decided to start studying to become a priest. He became a professed member of the Congregation of the Priests of the Sacred Heart in 1970 and started studying at the seminary at Albert Ludwig University in Freiburg. He wrote his Master's thesis on Paul Tillich's principle of Protestantism. His thesis advisor was Karl Lehmann. He was ordained a priest on May 28, 1977.
After that he worked in Helsinki and Jyväskylä. In June 2009, Pope Benedict XVI appointed him Bishop of Helsinki, succeeding Josef Wrobel, who had been appointed auxiliary bishop of Lublin. He was consecrated bishop by Karl Cardinal Lehmann on September 5, 2009. The consecration took place in the Turku Cathedral, which is a Lutheran church.
- Maarit Olkkola: Unexplained road. Evening Times, 2009, No. 15.8., p 28.
- Fides - Catholic Diocese of Journal 08/2009, p 6.
- Katholische Nachrichten kreuz.net, Der Skandalbischof wurde ernannt, 18.6.2009.
- Teemu Sippo SCJ: Position Paper of marriage to protect the Catholic Church . 19.3.2009. Subsequent Helsinki 11.8.2009.
- Teemu Sippo SCJ: Trenton and the Vatican II exhibition Kotimaa.fi . 17.3.2009. Subsequent Helsinki 11.8.2009.
- Katholische Nachrichten kreuz.net, Wie viele Reserve hat die Kirche noch?, 5.7.2010.
- Fides - Catholic Diocese of Journal 09/2011, p 7, 13/2011, p 6.
- M. Angela Toigo, one mouse prayers, KATT 1984, Helsinki, Finland, ISBN 951-9386-25-4.
- Bernhard Welte, Nothingness light. possibility of a new religious experience. The log-books in 2008, Helsinki, Finland, ISBN 978-951-825-037-4.