This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Founder(s)||Umberto Allemandi and Anna Somers Cocks|
|Editor||Alison Cole (2018-present)|
|Headquarters||London and New York City|
The Art Newspaper is a monthly print publication, with daily updates online, founded in 1990 and based in London and New York City. It covers news of the visual arts as they are affected by international politics and economics, developments in law, tax, the art market, the environment and official cultural policy.
The Art Newspaper is published by The Art Newspaper SA and is based on an original concept by the Turin publisher, Umberto Allemandi, who founded the first monthly newspaper, Il Giornale dell'Arte, in 1983. It covers news of the visual arts as they are affected by international politics and economics, developments in law, tax, the art market, the environment and official cultural policy. The publication is fed by a network of sister editions, with around fifty correspondents in over thirty countries. In addition to London and New York City, the network has editorial offices in Turin, Paris, Moscow, Beijing and Tel Aviv.
The Art Newspaper produces daily papers during the major art fairs, such as Art Basel and Frieze, and weekly podcasts on topical subjects. It is a campaigning newspaper, which has reported regularly on the trade in illicitly excavated antiquities, on damage to the heritage in warfare, and the maladministration and corruption that prevents Venice being protected from sea level rise, excessive tourism and the cruise ships.
Anna Somers Cocks OBE founded The Art Newspaper for Umberto Allemandi's publishing house in 1990. It was edited by Laura Suffield 1992–94, then by Somers Cocks again until 2002. She was succeeded by Cristina Ruiz 2002–2004, Jane Morris 2004–2016, then Javier Pes 2016–17. Alison Cole is the current editor. Inna Bazhenova, a mathematician, engineer, collector, and the publisher of the Russian edition of the paper, first acquired the publishing license for Russia and began producing the Russian version in spring 2012. Bazhenova subsequently bought The Art Newspaper with French, Greek, Italian and Chinese versions in October 2014.
The Art Newspaper France had to be re-launched in 2018. In November of the same year, The Art Newspaper Israel Edition was founded by M.T. Abraham Group. The Art Newspaper Turkey joined the franchise in 2023.
Reviewers and commentators for the paper include: former Tate director Nicholas Serota, Performa founder-director RoseLee Goldberg; former Pompidou Centre director Jean-Hubert Martin; archaeologist Colin Renfrew; Venice Biennale curator Robert Storr, writer Anthony Haden-Guest and artist Grayson Perry. The publication won the National Art Collections Fund prize in 1992.
The Art Newspaper was bought by the AMTD Group in June 2023 and with this they announced that they planned to move the headquarters to Paris. On 30.08.2023 The Art Newspaper Russia announced its new owner, Olga Yarutina.
The Art Newspaper network
(in chronological order of year of establishment)
- Il Giornale dell'Arte (Torino, Italy, founded in 1983)
- The Art Newspaper (London, founded in 1990, based in London and New York City)
- The Art Newspaper Russia (Moscow, founded in 2012)
- The Art Newspaper China (Shanghai, founded in 2013
- The Art Newspaper France (Paris, re-launched in 2018). Currently operating as an online daily edition called The Art Newspaper Daily. Formerly Le Journal des Arts (Paris, founded in 1994)
- The Art Newspaper Israel (Tel Aviv, founded in 2018, first published in 2019)
- The Art Newspaper Greece launched as a licensed member of the Group in summer 2021 (formerly known as Ta Nea tis Technis founded in 2013)
- The Art Newspaper Türkiye (Istanbul, founded in 2023)
- "Ten questions for Anthony Haden-Guest". Phaidon Press. Archived from the original on 2021-04-14. Retrieved 2021-02-14.
- "AMTD adding The Art Newspaper to its global media portfolio after L'Officiel". www.businesswire.com. 2023-06-08. Retrieved 2023-06-13.
- "Il Giornale dell'Arte". www.ilgiornaledellarte.com. Archived from the original on 2022-03-06. Retrieved 2022-03-06.
- "The Art Newspaper – International art news and events". www.theartnewspaper.com. Archived from the original on 2021-08-16. Retrieved 2021-08-17.
- "The Art Newspaper Russia — новости искусства". www.theartnewspaper.ru. Archived from the original on 2021-07-28. Retrieved 2022-04-22.
- "The Art Newspaper Russia launches in Moscow – the Art Newspaper". Archived from the original on 2012-03-25. Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- "TANC 艺术新闻中文版". www.tanchinese.com (in Chinese). Archived from the original on 2022-03-06. Retrieved 2022-03-06.
- "China launch for the Art Newspaper – the Art Newspaper". Archived from the original on 2013-05-28. Retrieved 2013-06-19.
- "A la Une". www.artnewspaper.fr (in French). Archived from the original on 2022-05-02. Retrieved 2022-04-22.
- "THE ART NEWSPAPER – ISRAEL EDITION – עיתון האמנות המהדורה הישראלית". THE ART NEWSPAPER – ISRAEL EDITION – עיתון האמנות המהדורה הישראלית. Archived from the original on 2022-03-06. Retrieved 2022-03-06.
- "The Art Newspaper". theartnewspaper.gr. Archived from the original on 2022-03-06. Retrieved 2022-03-06.
- the art newspaper, the art newspaper (2021-06-01). "The Art Newspaper network launches Greek edition". The Art Newspaper - International art news and events. Retrieved 2023-06-13.
- "The Art Newspaper launches Turkish edition". The Art Newspaper - International art news and events. 2023-06-16. Retrieved 2023-08-16.
- ARTFORUM (October 2, 2014). "ART NEWSPAPER BOUGHT BY RUSSIAN TYCOON". Artforum.
- Financial, Times (June 8, 2023). "Company Announcements. AMTD adding The Art Newspaper to its global media portfolio after L'Officiel". Financial Times. Retrieved 2023-09-02.