The Bishop Wheeler Catholic Academy Trust
|The Bishop Wheeler Catholic Academy Trust|
North West Leeds, Ilkley and North Yorkshire
|Motto||Motto: Veritas et Caritas (Latin for In Truth and Love)|
|Established||1 March 2013|
|Students and staff|
|Chair||Mrs C Hyde, Chair of the Academy Trust Board|
The Bishop Wheeler Catholic Academy Trust is a group of ten schools in the North West Leeds area that converted to Academies since 2013. The trust is named after the William Wheeler, the seventh Roman Catholic Bishop of Leeds from 1966 until 1985.
The Bishop Wheeler Academy Trust has ten member schools:
|School name||School type||Date joined|
|St. Mary's Menston ||Secondary||1 March 2013|
|St. Joseph's Catholic Primary School Otley||Primary||1 March 2013|
|St. Mary's Horsforth Catholic Voluntary Academy ||Primary||1 March 2013|
|St. Joseph's Catholic Primary School Pudsey||Primary||1 March 2013|
|Ss Peter and Paul Catholic Primary School (Yeadon)||Primary||1 April 2013|
|Sacred Heart Catholic Primary School Ilkley||Primary||1 April 2013|
|St Mary's Catholic Primary School Knaresborough ||Primary||1 July 2015|
|St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School Harrogate||Primary||1 July 2015|
|Holy Name Catholic Voluntary Academy Cookridge||Primary||1 August 2015|
|St. Stephen's Catholic Primary School and Nursery Skipton||Primary||1 August 2015|
In March 2012, plans were announced for Catholic schools across the Leeds Diocese to investigate teaming up to form trust academies that would no longer be under local authority control. The Governing Bodies of St. Mary's Menston and four other schools considered a proposal of converting to Academy status in 2013 and forming together a Multi-Academy Trust. A consultation period occurred between September and October 2012. The academy conversion took place on 1 March 2013. The logo of the trust is Bishop Wheeler's Episcopal Coat of Arms. The first Chair of the Academy Trust Board is Caroline Hyde.
- "Schools join under new Catholic academy trust". connex-education.com. 7 March 2013. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- McIntyre, Annette (11 March 2013). "Wharfedale Catholic schools unite in Academy Trust". Wharfedale Observer. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "The Bishop Wheeler Catholic Academy Trust Supplemental Agreement". education.gov.uk. Department for Education. 28 February 2013. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- "St. Mary's Horsforth Contact Us page". stmaryshorsforth.org. 2014. Retrieved 16 June 2014.
- "St. Joseph's Pudsey website". stjosephspudsey.org. 2015. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- "Academies annual report: academic year 2013 to 2014". www.gov.uk. 2015. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- "St. Mary's Knaresborough Contact Us page". stmaryscps.org. 2017. Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- "St Stephen's to join academy trust". cravenherald.co.uk/. 2015. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- - Trust Information
- Jack, Jim (6 April 2012). "Councillor demands consultation on Catholic 'super academy' plan for Leeds". Ilkley Gazette. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- bishopwheelercatholicacademytrust.org - Letter to Parents 12 November 2012 Archived 4 January 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Introduction to the Catholic Multi Academy Trust plans". dioceseofleedscmat2.org. 9 October 2012. Retrieved 10 October 2012.[permanent dead link]
- McIntyre, Annette (5 March 2013). "Five Catholic primaries and one secondary school leave council control". Bradford Telegraph and Argus. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- Edubase - St. Mary's Catholic Comprehensive School
- Edubase - St. Mary's Menston, A Catholic Voluntary Academy
- Wheeler, Gordon (1990). In Truth and Love. Gowland. p. 90. ISBN 1872480098.
- Fiona Evans (31 January 2014). "Exclusive: Catholics blast bus 'tax' on religious schools". The Yorkshire Post. Retrieved 1 February 2014.