The Brothers (1947 film)
Original British 1-sheet poster
|Directed by||David MacDonald|
|Produced by||Sydney Box|
|Written by||Muriel Box, Sydney Box, Paul Vincent Carroll, David MacDonald|
|Music by||Cedric Thorpe Davie|
|Edited by||Vladimir Sagovsky|
|Distributed by||General Film Distributors|
|Box office||£110,000 (by July 1953)|
The Brothers is a British film melodrama of 1947, starring Patricia Roc and John Laurie, from a novel of the same name by L.A.G. Strong. It is set in the Western Isles of Scotland, and the long and murderous grudge between two clans there, the Macraes and McFarishes. Patricia Roc plays a serving girl, whose arrival to work for the Macraes reinflames the conflict and causes an internal power-struggle between two brothers in the Macrae clan (played by Maxwell Reed and Duncan Macrae).
- Patricia Roc as Mary
- Will Fyffe as Aeneas McGrath
- Maxwell Reed as Fergus Macrae
- Finlay Currie as Hector Macrae
- John Laurie as Dugald
- Andrew Crawford as Willie McFarish
- Duncan Macrae as John Macrae
- Morland Graham as Angus McFarish
- Megs Jenkins as Angustina McFarish
- James Woodburn as Priest
- David McAlister as George McFarish
- Patrick Boxill as The Informer
- David Keir as Postman
The Radio Times wrote, "while Stephen Dade's images of Skye are highly evocative, precious little passion is generated by orphaned Patricia Roc and Andrew Crawford, even though she's the housekeeper of his deadliest rival (Finlay Currie). Part of the problem is the straightlaced nature of postwar British cinema, which kept emotions firmly in check.; while The New York Times wrote, "Patricia Roc is lovely in form and grace, but her hair-dos, her dresses and her expressions smack more of Elstree than of the Hebrides"; and TV Guide called the film a "fair effort with technical talent outweighing the performers"; but Eye for Film found the film "startlingly bold and suggestive for its time...surprisingly gripping." 
The film incurred an estimated loss of £55,700.
- Andrew Spicer, Sydney Box Manchester Uni Press 2006 p 210
- "The Brothers". BFI.
- David Parkinson. "The Brothers". RadioTimes.
- "Movie Review - The Brothers - ON THE SCREEN; 'The Brothers,' New British Film Starring Patricia Roc, Has Its Premiere at Sutton - NYTimes.com".
- "The Brothers". TV Guide.
- "The Brothers".