The Client (2011 film)
Promotional poster for The Client
|Directed by||Sohn Young-sung|
|Produced by||Yu Jeong-hun|
Kim Jho Kwang-soo
|Written by||Sohn Young-sung|
|Music by||Jo Yeong-wook|
|Edited by||Kim Sun-min|
Generation Blue Films
|Box office||US$15.8 million|
On his wedding anniversary, Han Chul-min (Jang Hyuk) drives into his apartment complex parking lot and sees a large crowd gathered by the entryway into his apartment. He enters holding a bouquet of flowers for his wife, instead he finds police officers scattered about collecting evidence. In his bedroom there is a large pool of blood dripping onto the floor from the bed, and his wife is nowhere to be seen. Han is then handcuffed, arrested and taken into police custody for her murder.
Prosecutor Ahn Min-ho (Park Hee-soon) takes charge of prosecuting the Han murder case. He has little doubt in the guilt of Chul-min. Confirming his suspicions that Han was arrested as the prime suspect in a serial murder case, but later released on insufficient evidence.
Jang Ho-won (Sung Dong-il), an investigator, brings the case of Han to defense lawyer Kang Sung-hee (Ha Jung-woo). He informs Kang that the alleged murder victim's body was never discovered, the police have yet to find any direct evidence connecting Han to the murder of his wife and his arrest is based on circumstantial evidence. Han, who works at a film laboratory, has no fingerprints as they are erased from the strong chemicals he handles every day. Convinced that Han is not guilty, Kang takes the case and applies in court for a jury trial and goes through a series of legal clashes against rival prosecutor Ahn. The case gets even more complex as details about the mysterious life of Han's wife are unveiled.
- Jang Hyuk - Han Chul-min (The client)
- Park Hee-soon - Ahn Min-ho （Rival prosecutor)
- Ha Jung-woo - Kang Sung-hee (lawyer)
- Sung Dong-il - Jang Ho-won (Kang's investigator)
- Kim Sung-ryung - Kang's paralegal
- Jung Won-joong - Chief public prosecutor
- Yoo Da-in - Seo Jung-ah (murder victim and Chul-min's wife)
- Park Hyuk-kwon - Police inspector Seo
- Joo Jin-mo - judge
- Yeh Soo-jung - Jung-ah's mother
- Hwang Byeong-guk - detective in charge
- Min Bok-gi - Professor Choi
- Yoo Soon-woong - elderly man at the store
- Bae Sung-woo - Prosecutor Park
- Bae Yun-beom - Prosecutor Bae
- Park Seong-geun - ranger
- Park Seong-yeon - Jung-ah's co-worker
- Yu Ha-jun - forensic team member
- Choi Hee-jin - blood researcher
- Lee Chang-hoon
The film attracted 826,287 admissions in its first week of release and till the end of 18 October achieved a total of 2.1 million It ranked #2 and grossed ₩541 million in its first week of release but by the end of the second week rose to #2 with a gross of ₩5 billion and grossed a total of ₩17 billion after seven weeks of screening.
- "Uiroein (The Client) (2011)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "The Client (2011)". The Chosun Ilbo. 30 September 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-22.
- "Korean Film News: Box office, Sept. 22 – Oct. 4". Korean Film Biz Zone. Korean Film Council. 7 October 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-22.
- "Korean Film News: South Korean Box Office, Oct. 4 - 18". Korean Film Biz Zone. Korean Film Council. 24 October 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-22.
- "South Korea Box Office: September 23–25, 2011". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2012-04-22.
- "South Korea Box Office: September 30–October 2, 2011". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2012-04-22.
- "South Korea Box Office: November 11–13, 2011". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2012-04-22.