The Cowboy Way (film)
|The Cowboy Way|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Gregg Champion|
|Produced by||Brian Grazer|
|Written by||Rob Thompson|
|Music by||David Newman
Bon Jovi (songs)
|Edited by||Michael Tronick|
|Distributed by||Universal Studios|
|June 3, 1994|
The Cowboy Way follows two championship rodeo stars and lifelong best friends, Pepper Lewis (Woody Harrelson) and Sonny Gilstrap (Kiefer Sutherland) as they travel from New Mexico to New York in search of their missing friend, Nacho Salazar, who came to the city to pay for his daughter's trip to the U.S. from Cuba. When they discover that he's been murdered, the pair set out to find the killer.
- Woody Harrelson as Pepper Lewis.
- Kiefer Sutherland as Sonny Gilstrap
- Dylan McDermott as John Stark
- Ernie Hudson as Officer Sam 'Mad Dog' Shaw
- Cara Buono as Teresa Salazar
- Marg Helgenberger as Margarette
- Tomas Milian as Manny Huerta
- Luis Guzmán as Chango
- Allison Janney as NYPD Computer Operator
- Angel Caban as Boca
- Matthew Cowles as Pop Fly
- Joaquín Martínez as Nacho Salazar
- Kristin Baer as Melba
- Christian Aubert as Jacques
- Emmanuel Xuereb as Gaston
- Francie Swift as Desk Clerk at Waldorf Astoria
- Christopher Durang as Waiter at Waldorf Astoria
- Laura Ekstrand as Cello Player at Waldorf Astoria
- Graciela Lecube as Pawn Shop Woman
- José Zúñiga as Carlos
- Travis Tritt as Special Appearance
Joe Brown of The Washington Post said, "The Cowboy Way is a weak rehashing of the Crocodile Dundee gimmick: two modern-day cowboys taming the Wild East. The tired formula may still have some life left in it, but not this 'Way'. This dud ranch is saddled with the charisma-free teaming of dumb guns Woody Harrelson and Kiefer Sutherland."
- Good Guys Don't Always Wear White - Bon Jovi
- The Cowboy Way - Travis Tritt
- Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys - Gibson/Miller Band
- Blue Danube Blues - Cracker
- No One To Run With - The Allman Brothers Band
- On Broadway - Jeff Beck & Paul Rodgers
- Days Gone By - James House
- Candy Says - Blind Melon
- Too Far Gone - Emmylou Harris
- Sonny Rides Again - George Thorogood & The Destroyers
- Free Your Mind - En Vogue
The Cowboy Way debuted at No.5 at the US box office.
- Eller, Claudia; Natale, Richard (1994-08-02). "A Squeeze Play Tags the Summer Box Office : A season of monumental successes--and flops--worries many executives that crowds are shunning mid-range films in favor of a few home-run hits". Los Angeles Times.
- Joe Brown, "The Cowboy Way" Review, Washington Post, June 3, 1994 http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/longterm/movies/videos/thecowboywaypg13brown_a0ae22.htm
- Cerone, Daniel (1994-06-07). "Weekend Box Office : 'Flintstones' Keeps Rolling Along". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2011-11-06.