The Culinary Institute of America at Copia
500 First Street, Napa, California 94559
|Campus||Suburban, 12 acres (4.9 ha)|
|Nickname||The CIA at Copia|
The Culinary Institute of America at Copia is a branch campus of the private culinary college the Culinary Institute of America. The CIA at Copia, located at 500 1st Street next to the Oxbow Public Market in downtown Napa, California, opened its doors in autumn 2016.The CIA venue provides food- and wine-related courses to visitors. The CIA at Copia and The Culinary Institute of America at Greystone make up the school's California branch.
The Copia campus was acquired by the Culinary Institute of America in 2015. The building and grounds were formerly Copia, a museum in downtown Napa that operated from 2001 to 2008. The campus opened in 2016 as the Culinary Institute of America at Copia, and houses the CIA's new Food Business School.
The Copia building totals 78,632 square feet (7,305.2 m2), and the property includes an outdoor amphitheater with seating for 1,000 and a variety of outdoor gardens. It has a 250-seat theater, the Theater at Copia, used for lectures and the primary location for the Napa Valley Film Festival, which will also be the site for future food and wine industry conferences and community events. In 2017, the college plans to offer additional hands-on classes in Copia's teaching kitchens, as well as host food industry conferences and other events at the campus. The campus also has a 72-seat theater, the Napa Valley Vintners Theater, which hosts daily food and wine classes and an ongoing series of demonstrations by instructors and visiting culinary, wine, and beverage experts. The theater can also be booked for a meeting or private event.
The building has a 90-seat restaurant, which was formerly Julia's Kitchen, a Julia Child-themed restaurant that operated while Copia existed as a museum. The Restaurant at CIA Copia focuses on serving shared plates served tableside by CIA chefs. It includes a casual outdoor patio with a wood-burning oven and bar. Dishes are inspired by the Napa Valley harvest and CIA gardens, and paired with cocktails or wines. Three private dining rooms are available as well. The school also has an on-site retail store with linens, pottery created by local artists, cookware and bakeware, items for the home and garden, books, knives, glassware, and other related items. The store occasionally hosts in-store demonstrations and book signings.
The CIA at Copia also contains a reserve wine salon, which holds a collection of rare and fine wines not readily available to consumers.
The CIA at Copia's theaters offer cooking, beverage, and lecture-style events for the public, and is publicly available for special and private events, including lectures, dinners, concerts, and weddings.
- Huffman, Jennifer (October 30, 2015). "CIA buys long-vacant Copia for food offerings". Napa Valley Register. Napa, California: Lee Enterprises, Inc. Retrieved November 4, 2015.
- Huffman, Jennifer (July 2, 2015). "Culinary Institute offers new life to vacant Copia building". Napa Valley Register. Napa, California: Lee Enterprises, Inc. Retrieved October 18, 2015.
- Warshawski, Evy (October 12, 2016). "Getting "reel" with the Film Festival". Napa Valley Register. Napa, California: Lee Enterprises, Inc. Retrieved November 17, 2016.
- Staff, Register (October 3, 2016). "Napa Valley Vintners pledges $1 million to the CIA at Copia". Napa Valley Register. Napa, California: Lee Enterprises, Inc. Retrieved November 17, 2016.
- Fort, Ellen (October 26, 2016). "Copia's New Restaurant Opens in November With a Bevy of Tableside Carts". Eater San Francisco. San Francisco, California. Retrieved November 17, 2016.
- Thompson Hill, Kathleen (January 14, 2016). "Chuck Williams museum to be centerpiece of new Copia". Sonoma Index-Tribune. Sonoma, California: Sonoma Media Investments, Inc. Retrieved November 17, 2016.
- Vaughan, Byron (March 31, 2015). "Vintners Hall of Fame Celebration Coming to CIA Greystone". iSanté. Retrieved November 17, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Copia.|