The Dead Don't Die (2019 film)
|The Dead Don't Die|
|Directed by||Jim Jarmusch|
|Written by||Jim Jarmusch|
|Edited by||Affonso Gonçalves|
|Distributed by||Focus Features|
The Dead Don't Die is a 2019 American zombie comedy film written and directed by Jim Jarmusch. It features an ensemble cast including Adam Driver, Bill Murray, Selena Gomez, Chloë Sevigny, Steve Buscemi, Austin Butler, RZA, Tilda Swinton, Tom Waits, Danny Glover, Caleb Landry Jones, Rosie Perez and Carol Kane, and follows a small town's police force as they combat a sudden zombie invasion.
In a peaceful, small town, zombies suddenly rise from their graves, terrorizing the citizens. Three bespectacled police officers and a strange Scottish mortician with a love for drag makeup and sword fighting must band together to try and stay alive. The road to survival, however, may be a dead end.
- Bill Murray as Chief Cliff Robertson
- Adam Driver as Officer Ronald "Ronnie" Peterson
- Tilda Swinton as Zelda Winston
- Chloë Sevigny as Officer Minerva "Mindy" Morrison
- Steve Buscemi as Farmer Miller
- Danny Glover as Hank Thompson
- Caleb Landry Jones as Bobby Wiggins
- Rosie Perez as Posie Juarez
- Iggy Pop as Coffee Zombie
- Sara Driver as Coffee Zombie
- RZA as Dean
- Carol Kane as Mallory O'Brien
- Selena Gomez as Zoe
- Tom Waits as Hermit Bob
- Austin Butler as Jack
- Eszter Balint as Lily
- Luka Sabbat as Zach
It’s a zombie movie. Jim Jarmusch has written a zombie script that’s so hilarious and it has a cast of great actors: Rosie Perez, Daniel Craig. It's titled The Dead Don't Die, and it shoots over the summer. But, no, I will not play a zombie.
In July 2018, it was announced that Adam Driver, Selena Gomez, Chloë Sevigny, Austin Butler, Steve Buscemi and Tilda Swinton had been cast in the film alongside Murray (however, neither Perez nor Craig were noted as still being attached to the film). Joshua Astrachan and Carter Logan will produce the film, while Focus Features will distribute the film. Caleb Landry Jones joined the cast later in the month.
Review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reports an approval rating of 52% based on 52 reviews, and an average rating of 5.96/10, with the critical consensus saying, "The Dead Don't Die dabbles with tones and themes to varying degrees of success, but sharp wit and a strong cast make this a zom-com with enough brains to consume." Metacritic assigned the film a weighted average score of 57 out of 100 from 17 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- "Official Selection". Cannes Film Festival. Retrieved April 18, 2019.
- "Cannes festival 2019: full list of films". The Guardian. Retrieved April 18, 2019.
- "Also, Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola told me that they are working on what they call „the french movie" (no further details) and Bill Murray and Tilda Swinton will be doing a Zombie film with Jim Jarmusch". Retrieved 2 April 2019.
- "Bill Murray visits Philly with a high-brow variety show and a caffeinated cure-all: 'You'll be ready to peel varnish off walls'". philly.com. Retrieved 28 August 2018.
- Raup, Jordan (July 13, 2018). "Jim Jarmusch in Now Filming a Zombie Movie Starring Adam Driver, Bill Murray, Selena Gomez, and Chloë Sevigny". The Film Stage. Retrieved July 13, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (July 13, 2018). "Jim Jarmusch Is Making a Zombie Movie With Bill Murray and Selena Gomez". Variety. Retrieved July 13, 2018.
- Galuppo, Mia (July 13, 2018). "Bill Murray, Tilda Swinton to Star in Jim Jarmusch's Zombie Comedy 'The Dead Don't Die'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 13, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (23 July 2018). "Caleb Landry Jones Joins Jim Jarmusch's Zombie Movie 'The Dead Don't Die'". Variety. Retrieved 28 August 2018.
- Chavez, Paul (July 13, 2018). "Selena Gomez films in bloody red T-shirt and Daisy Dukes for star-studded zombie movie in New York". Daily Mail. Retrieved July 13, 2018.
- Keslassy, Elsa; Lang, Brent (April 10, 2019). "Jim Jarmusch's Zombie Movie 'The Dead Don't Die' to Open Cannes (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved April 10, 2019.
- McNary, Dave (March 27, 2019). "Jim Jarmusch's Bill Murray Zombie Movie to Hit Theaters in June". Variety. Retrieved March 27, 2019.
- "The Dead Don't Die (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- "The Dead Don't Die Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved May 22, 2019.