The Driftless Area
|The Driftless Area|
|Directed by||Zachary Sluser|
|Based on||The Driftless Area|
by Tom Drury
|Edited by||Tom Cross|
The Driftless Area is a 2015 Canadian-American neo-noir drama-comedy film directed by Zachary Sluser and starring Anton Yelchin, Zooey Deschanel, and John Hawkes. Alia Shawkat, Aubrey Plaza, Frank Langella, and Ciarán Hinds also appear in supporting roles. The film is based on the 2006 novel of the same title by Tom Drury, who co-wrote the screenplay with Sluser.
The film tells the story of a young man by the name of Pierre Hunter (Anton Yelchin) who falls in love with a mysterious woman named Stella (Zooey Deschanel) and finds himself in a dangerous cat-and-mouse game with a somewhat idiotic but, nonetheless, capable and violent criminal named Shane (John Hawkes) in a story that is in equal parts about fate, love, coming-of-age, and life in a small town.
A college graduate turned bartender comes home after his parents death. Shane picks up Pierre after his MG car breaks down. Shane charges Pierre $20 and kicks him out of his vehicle. On the next curve, Shane crashes and Pierre finds a $77,000 bag of money in Shane's truck. Shane wakes up from the crash and steals the car from the lady who stopped to help him. Pierre is going to give his new found money to a woman who needs plastic surgery for a scarred face.
Pierre falls into a well and is rescued by Stella. He falls in love with her. Stella is a ghost from an arson fire set by Shane that killed her. Tim Geer is helping Stella get retribution. Shane, his brother Ned, and Lyle come to Driftless to get their money. In a shootout Shane and Pierre kill each other. Pierre knew he was going to die and he wrote a will giving his car to his friend, Carrie, his grey felt hat to Keith and his binoculars to Stella.
Pierre wakes up on a beach and Stella greets him. She explains they are going to have a lot of time together.
- Anton Yelchin as Pierre Hunter
- Zooey Deschanel as Stella
- John Hawkes as Shane
- Alia Shawkat as Carrie
- Aubrey Plaza as Jean
- Ciarán Hinds as Ned
- Frank Langella as Tim Geer
- Benjamin Rogers as Keith
- Erika Portnoy as Tragic Woman
The film's original score was composed by Saunder Jurriaans and Daniel Bensi.
The film had its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 18, 2015. The film screened as the Opening Night film for the Aruba International Film Festival on October 7, 2015. Shortly afterwards, it was announced that Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions had acquired distribution rights to the film. The film was released on April 26, 2016, on video on demand and home media formats.
- Dave McNary. "Zooey Deschanel, Anton Yelchin Heading to 'Driftless Area'". Variety.
- "The Driftless Area | Tribeca Film Festival". Tribeca Film Festival. Retrieved February 10, 2016.
- "Saunder Jurriaans & Danny Bensi to Score 'The Driftless Area'". filmmusicreporter.com. October 28, 2014. Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- Staff, Variety (September 19, 2015). "'Driftless Area' to Open Aruba Film Festival". Variety. Retrieved February 1, 2016.
- "The Driftless Area". Aiff.aw. September 12, 2015. Retrieved February 1, 2016.
- McNary, Dave (November 19, 2015). "Zooey Deschanel-Anton Yelchin Romance 'Driftless Area' Bought by Sony". Variety. Retrieved February 1, 2016.
- Doty, Meriah (February 1, 2016). "'The Driftless Area' Trailer: Watch Anton Yelchin Summon Zooey Deschanel". Yahoo.com. Retrieved February 1, 2016.