The Elder Statesman (brand)
The Elder Statesman is a luxury clothing, fashion and lifestyle brand based in Los Angeles founded in 2007 by Greg Chait.
Founder Greg Chait was inspired by the gift of a cashmere blanket in 2002 to pursue a niche market. After he made some cashmere blankets for himself, Maxfield in Los Angeles sold some of his samples and requested more product. The brand was founded in 2007 and expanded into a West Hollywood appointment-only studio in 2011. As of 2011, the brand's clothing lines were carried in stores such as Barneys New York. As of 2014, the brand was known for its knitwear, was carried in stores worldwide, had 25 employees and had relocated to a Culver City factory. In June 2014, the company opened up an online store. The brand is expected to open its first store in Los Angeles in late 2014.
Chiat had previously been chief executive officer of niche Australian denim brand Ksubi. In December 2011, Justin Doss of GQ selected The Elder Statesman as his editor's pick. In 2012, founder Greg Chait was recognized with the $300,000 CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Award. During New York Fashion Week in February 2014, the brand was featured in The Wall Street Journal for its unique artistic installation of its cashmere line. The brand is known for its intricacy, quality, and limited quantity of supply.
In March 2014, The Elder Statesman received a minority-stake equity investment from "cult luxury jewellery [sic] and accessories brand Chrome Hearts". In September 2014, the brand partnered with private plane charter company XOJet to provide its customers with various luxury wares.
- Chernikoff, Leah (2012-11-15). "Who Is The Elder Statesman? Meet CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Winner Greg Chait". Fashionista.com. Retrieved 2014-11-05.
- Crowley, Evelyn (2011-11-09). "Statesman Launches a New Line and Studio". Vogue. Retrieved 2014-11-04.
- Wang, Lisa (2014-03-31). "With Shared Artisan Ethos, Chrome Hearts Invests in The Elder Statesman". The Business of Fashion. Retrieved 2014-11-04.
- "The Elder Statesman Launches Ecommerce". TheZoeReport.com. 2014-06-19. Retrieved 2014-11-05.
- Sherman, Lauren (2014-09-11). "The Elder Statesman Spring 2015 Ready-to-Wear". Style.com. Retrieved 2014-11-04.
- Doss, Justin (2011-12-22). "Editor's Pick: Elder Statesman - Unofficial Official Luxury". GQ. Retrieved 2014-11-04.
- Chernikoff, Leah (2012-11-12). "CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Names Winners: The CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund has named its latest round of winners". Fashionista.com. Retrieved 2014-11-04.
- Heyman, Marshall (2014-02-09). "Brand Goes Off the Beaten Path: The Elder Statesman Shows Off Cashmere Line With Balloons on a Conveyor Belt". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2014-11-04.
- Sebra, Matt (2013-02-07). "The GQ+A NYFW Edition: The Elder Statesman's Greg Chait on Sticking to His Guns". GQ. Retrieved 2014-11-04.
- Tschorn, Adam (2014-09-05). "Elder Statesman wares get a lift from private plane charter firm XOJet". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2014-11-04.