|Gareth Moody |
In 1999 Gareth Moody, Dan Single, Paul Wilson and George Gorrow were dissatisfied with the range of denim fits on the market, leading them to manufacture their own jeans and other denim garments (originally under the name tsubi).
In 2006, the brand changed its name to ksubi as a result of a trademark infringement dispute.
In 2010, ksubi was purchased by clothing manufacturer Bleach, who also owned and produced Insight and Something Else.
In 2013, Bleach went into liquidation and Breakwater Capitol acquired ksubi. In 2014 the licence for global distribution was obtained by The General Pants Group.
Previewing at London Fashion Week in September 2007 was ksubi’s collaboration with Richard Nicoll. "ksubi for Richard Nicoll sunglasses SS08", was an eyewear collection designed by Nicoll consisting of three styles and drawing colours from Nicoll’s collection.
In 2017 Ksubi created a limited edition collection with rapper Travis Scott. The collaboration received global attention and sold out world wide.
In July 2019 Supermodel Kendall Jenner became the face for Ksubi's Fall 20 Sign of the Times collection, including an 8 piece capsule which featured in the campaign.
On November 21, 2019 Ksubi have announced that they will be releasing their next collaboration the 'Seven Deadly Sins' with NY Street Artist HIDJI WORLD, a noted member of the AWGE group.
The Ksubi Flagship store is based in SOHO NYC with a secondary stand alone store in LA.
Ksubi can be found in premium stores across the globe. Stockists include Barneys, SAKS and Kith in the United States, Harrods and Selfridges Department Store in the United Kingdom, RonHerman in Japan and exclusively at General Pants Co. in Australia.
ksubi is pronounced as "soobie" in Australian accents, and "sue-bee" in American accents. The ‘K’ is silent.
ksubi turned heads in 2007 with a catalogue displaying sunglasses propped on penises.
In 2013 ksubi’s Sex! & Fashion capsule collection received consumer backlash concerning ‘sexually provocative imagery’ in their General Pants Co. window campaign.
Books and photography exhibitions
In 2007 ksubi produced and released the book "Sign Of The Times" the photographic reportage style book featured photos by George Gorrow and Michael Nolan. The photos captured the journey of a 7 ft high ksubi sculpture depicting a giant hand doing the peace symbol with the fingers cut off and bleeding. The sculpture was toured by ksubi from Los Angeles to The Burning Man Festival in Nevada and then across country to New York.
Musical side projects
2006 also saw ksubi collaborating with record label !K7. Single, under the name DJ Dangerous Dan, mixed a CD under the ksubi banner for a national and international release of !K7 "KSUBI presents DJ KICKS CD for !K7 RECORDS".
Dan Single, or Dangerous Dan, is also part of prominent Sydney-based DJ six-piece "Bang Gang". Bang Gang consists of Ajax, Nolan, Jamie Doom, Gus Da Hoodrat, Dj Damage, and Dangerous Dan. Their early party days in dark nightclubs, such as 3rd Class in Melbourne and progressed to supporting Daft Punk in their Nevereverland tour of Australia in late 2007.
ksubi’s impact on pop culture can be seen in numerous musical references including Leaving Los Feliz by Mark Ronson from the 2015 album Uptown Special as well as the song Lord by A$ap Ferg Ft. Bone Thugs n Harmony from the 2013 Trap Lord.
Ksubi in Song
- Playboi Carti - Let It Go
- A$AP Ferg - Chinatown
- Keith Ape - Ksubi
- Danny Brown - #HottestMC
- Lil Uzi Vert - Smoke My Dope
- XXXTENTACION - Look At Me! 
- Smoove L - Apollo 
- "About". ksubi. Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- "Tsubo sues Tsubi, and Ksubi is born - Fashion - Entertainment - smh.com.au". www.smh.com.au. Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- "Bleach Group Relaunches Insight and Ksubi; Opens New Global HQ in Venice, CA | GrindTV.com". GrindTV.com. 2014-09-23. Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- Butler, Ben (2014-03-15). "Australian fashion label Ksubi to be sold for third time". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- "Capsule Show". Capsule Show. Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- "Richard Nicoll x ksubi eyewear". Harper's BAZAAR. 2012-03-01. Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- "Stockists". ksubi. Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- "Watch Ksubi's infamous runway of rats". Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- Kelly, Richard (2012-04-19). "The World Of Horsebones: Ksubi Calendar 2007". The World Of Horsebones. Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- "Is Ksubi x General Pants 'Sex' Campaign Too Sexy?". Pedestrian.TV. Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- "For-Tomorrow | International Designer Clothing, Eyewear, Shoes, and Accessories". www.f-t.com.au. Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- "ksubi Brandbook". issuu. Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- Gorrow, George (2007-01-01). Ksubi: Sign of the Times. KSUBI.
- Records, !K7. "!K7 Records -". !K7 Records. Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- "Daft Punk - Gig Reviews - Music - Entertainment - smh.com.au". www.smh.com.au. Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- Mark Ronson (Ft. Kevin Parker) – Leaving Los Feliz, retrieved 2017-03-16 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- A$AP Ferg (Ft. Bone Thugs-n-Harmony) – Lord, retrieved 2017-03-16 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Playboi Carti - Let it go, retrieved 2020-03-19 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- A$AP Ferg – Chinatown, retrieved 2017-03-16 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Keith Ape (Ft. Ken Rebel) – Ksubi, retrieved 2017-03-16 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Danny Brown – #HottestMC, retrieved 2017-03-16 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Lil Uzi Vert – Smoke My Dope, retrieved 2017-03-16 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- XXXTENTACTION - Look At Me!, retrieved 2018-12-15 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Smoove L - Apollo, retrieved 2021-02-16 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)