The Flock (video game)
|Release||August 21, 2015|
The Flock is a multiplayer-only survival horror video game developed by Vogelsap. It was released for Microsoft Windows on August 21, 2015. The game received attention in the video game industry for its unique premise: a multiplayer game that has a finite lifespan for all players.
Due to the poor financial performance of the game, the central servers were shut down without player deaths reaching the set limit.
The Flock is an asymmetrical multiplayer video game that is played from a first-person perspective.
The player defeats enemies with light. Enemies have the ability to turn into statues and become invincible. Certain artifacts will give players special abilities, such as the ability to run faster, jump higher, and remain undetected. The game contains a mixture of action and stealth. The player's flashlight can give away their position to enemies. When players lose their lives in the game, the population of the game decreases. When all players die, the game's online portion is no longer functional and, according to the game's developer, the game will "never be purchasable again."
The game starts with the player controlling a creature in a flock. They can find an artifact which will turn them into a human, although other monsters will try to steal the artifact.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (June 2016)
- Frushtick, Russ (March 6, 2015). "10 awesome upcoming indie games". Yahoo! Games. Yahoo!. Retrieved April 6, 2015.
- Matulef, Jeffrey (May 31, 2013). "Asymmetrical mutliplayer horror game The Flock is like Pitch Black where you're the monster". Eurogamer. Gamer Network. Retrieved April 6, 2015.
- Nunneley, Stephany (July 16, 2015). "If too many players die in The Flock, the game will go offline permanently". VG247. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- Savage, Phil (May 30, 2013). "The Flock trailer shows atmospheric asymmetrical online horror". PC Gamer. Future plc. Retrieved April 6, 2015.
- Sykes, Tom (April 18, 2014). "The Flock trailer shows the asymmetrical stealth horror game in action". PC Gamer. Future plc. Retrieved April 6, 2015.
- "The Flock for PC reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
- Furniss, Zack (2 September 2015). "Review: The Flock". Destructoid. Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- Whittaker, Matt (23 August 2015). "Review: The Flock". Hardcore Gamer. Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- Sterling, Jim (27 August 2015). "The Flock Review – Making A Flockery". The Jimquisition. Retrieved 20 December 2015.