The Mouldy Lovers
|The Mouldy Lovers|
The Mouldy Lovers, West End, May 2016. Photo by Blake Gannon.
|Origin||West End, Queensland, Australia|
|Genres||Gypsy punk, ska|
|Past members||Jade Channells
The Mouldy Lovers are a Queensland Music Award nominated Australian musical group with seven members, which formed in early 2010. They perform gypsy-influenced ska music with punk, reggae, Romani music and Klezmer elements. The band came to prominence in 2011 with the release of their second extended play, Kakistocracy, and frequent performances and festival appearances in Queensland and New South Wales. Their debut album Yonder Ruckus was released in January 2013, receiving national Australian airplay on Triple J  and charting at number one for multiple weeks on 4ZZZ.
The band exhibits gender and cultural diversity in their membership and have close ties with the Brisbane suburb of West End, often cited as 'West End favourites'. The group regularly busk and play at West End community events such as Laura Street Festival  and West End Block Party  and stores such as Jet Black Cat Music.
In addition to musical collaborations, The Mouldy Lovers have also worked with local street theatre and circus cabaret performers. In 2011, the group collaborated with community circus group The Ice Cream Factory to hold 'The Mouldy Lovers Fresh Flesh Cabaret', a cabaret, circus, acrobatics and music event. In the same year collaborated with street theatre troupe The Gremlins in a performance exhibition event  and again in 2012 at Woodford Folk Festival.
The Mouldy Lovers began in early 2010 in the Brisbane suburb of West End as a folk trio, composed of Louis Whelan, Jade Channells and Matt Hsu, regularly performing at markets and venues. Seeking to expand their sound, the group enlisted Jen Horn, Nicholas Downing, Henri Paternoster and Caroline Townsend later in 2010.
Following the departure of Jade Channells and Henri Paternoster in March 2012, the group recruited Gavin Cook, guitarist and vocalist for The Vulture St Family Skiffle Band. In September 2012, Jessica McFadyen (daughter of Ian McFadyen) and Queensland Greens Councillor Jonanthan Sri joined. In 2015, Brisbane musicians Kathryn Bermingham and Steph McIntyre joined the group.
Since 2011, the group has begun playing at music festivals in Queensland and New South Wales, including Caloundra Music Festival, Island Vibe Festival, and Surfing the Coldstream Festival. The group returned to many of these festivals in 2012, with the addition of Snowy Mountains of Music, 2 High Festival, Wallaby Creek Festival  and Woodford Folk Festival.
- Louis Whelan - piano accordion
- Matt Hsu - trumpet/clarinet/trombone
- Kathryn Bermingham - baritone saxophone
- Steph McIntyre - drum kit/alto saxophone
- Caroline Townsend - bass guitar
- Gavin Cook - guitar/vocals
- Jonathan Sri - tenor saxophone/rapping
- Jade Channells - guitar/banjo uke
- Henri Paternoster - tenor saxophone
- Nicholas Downing - drum kit/percussion
- Jen Horn - piano/electronic organ
- Jessica McFadyen - trumpet
- Bodie Howell - trombone
- Laura Kirkwood - drum kit
- "Amy Shark, Good Boy, Tia Gostelow & More Named As 2017 Qld Music Awards Finalists"
- "The Mouldy Lovers - Kakistocracy"
- "Under The Radar Volume 3: The Mouldy Lovers (Brisbane)"
- "jPlay: The Mouldy Lovers"
- "4ZZZ: Top 20 - Sat, Jan 19, 2013"
- "4ZZZ: Top 20 - Sat, Jan 26, 2013"
- "The Mouldy Lovers Band Review"
- "Laura Street Festival"
- "West End Block Party"
- "This is one black cat you want to cross your path"
- "The Mouldy Lovers in-store"
- "The Mouldy Lovers' Fresh Flesh Cabaret"
- "Salvage Garden Exhibition Opening"
- "Interview: The Mouldy Lovers"
- "Press Record - The Mouldy Lovers"
-  "Caloundra Music Festival - The Mouldy Lovers"
- "Island Vibe Festival - The Mouldy Lovers"
- "Surfing the Coldsteam Festival"
- "Snowy Mountains of Music Festival"
- "2high Festival"
- "Wallaby Creek Festival",
- "The Falls Festival 2016 Arts Program is here!"