The Other Side (Tonight Alive album)
|The Other Side|
|Studio album by Tonight Alive|
|Released||September 6, 2013|
|Recorded||Summer 2012, Coffs Harbour, Australia|
|Genre||Pop punk, pop rock, alternative rock, emo pop|
|Label||Sony Music Australia, Fearless Records, Search and Destroy Records|
|Tonight Alive chronology|
|Singles from The Other Side|
Vocalist Jenna McDougall spoke to Alternative Press about the record:
"There are definitely some sad songs on the album, and I think there are a few heartbreakers, but there are also songs like 'The Fire' that's a super-liberating, empowering punk song. I'm so proud of that song because the lyrics are really passionate, affirmative and positive, but the music is really aggressive. [...]
"We are quite, not a bipolar band, but I think this album is really about finding our sound but at the same time also accepting that we don't have one particular sound. Not all our songs are going to be the same, and you can't put them under the same umbrella. Some of them are poppy, some of them are really heavy and some of them are somewhere in the middle. We found a balance on this record, and I'm proud of that because I think it's just being true as human beings. You can be at both ends of the scale."
McDougall explain that there is "a lot more cohesive [because] I know my voice a lot better. I'm excited because the songs have got a very pop structure but [they've] still got a lot of edge." The title track was originally three verses longer but the band edited the track down. This original version was more country-orientated and was inspired by "Your Guardian Angel" by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. It was edited down as the band expected the song to be released as a single and work "better as a radio song", according to McDougall. McDougall found the decision "hard for me" as the song was personal to her. The chorus was completely rewritten a moment before McDougall was going to record her vocals for the song. It "tells the story of going from being friends to falling in love, and then the complications that followed before becoming just friends again."
After playing a few dates in Australia in May for the first time in a year, Tonight Alive came back in support of the new album, also performing two Rolling Stone Live Lodge acoustic shows in Sydney. They also played Warped Tour Australia 2013.
On July 31, 2013, the band revealed the track listing on their Facebook page. "The Ocean" was released as the album's first single to digital outlets and YouTube preceding the album. "Lonely Girl" was later made as an instant download for those pre-ordering the album through iTunes.
The Other Side was released on September 6, 2013 on Sony Records Australia, in Europe and the UK on September 9, and September 10 in the US through Fearless Records as well as Japan on September 11.
|Alter the Press!|||
|Music Mayhem Magazine|
The Other Side debuted at No. 5 on the Australian ARIA albums chart, No. 43 on the US Billboard 200 and No. 59 in the UK. It received positive reviews from critics, with praise for the album's direction and musicianship.
The Other Side received very positive reviews upon its release. Rob Foster of Kill Your Stereo reviewed the album positively: "The Other Side isn't just a step in the right direction. No, it's miles further than that. This is certainly the most accomplished thing Tonight Alive have released in their career yet, and frankly, given the quality of their previous releases, that says a lot. Tonight Alive are an excellent representation of Australian music in the international market, and 'The Other Side' backs that up magnificently."
All songs written and composed by Jenna McDougall and Whakaio Taahi, except where noted.
|4.||"Hell and Back"||3:24|
|5.||"The Other Side" (McDougall, Taahi, Mark Weinberg)||3:40|
|12.||"You Don't Owe Me Anything"||3:20|
- ALBUM REVIEW: TONIGHT ALIVE - THE OTHER SIDE (2013 LP) theaureview.com. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- Review: Tonight Alive – The Other Side www.fortitudemagazine.co.uk. Retrieved 18 October 2014
- Tonight Alive – The Other Side killyourstereo.com. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- TONIGHT ALIVE – THE OTHER SIDE: ALBUM REVIEW iodobi.com. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- The Other Side at AllMusic
- "Listeners need to know that even an artist is human:" Jenna McDougall on Tonight Alive’s new album. Alternative Press. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- Reeves 2013, p. 33
- Slessor 2014, p. 63
- McMahon, ed. 2015, p. 25
- "Fearless Records". Fearlessrecords.com. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- Lucy, Evan (2013). "Tonight Alive – The Other Side". Alternative Press (Alternative Press Magazine, Inc.). October 2013 (303): 82. ISSN 1065-1667. Retrieved August 29, 2013.
- Catalano, Gina (2 September 2013). "ATP! Album Review: Tonight Alive - The Other Side". Alter the Press! (Spin Media). Retrieved 2 September 2013.
- Tonight Alive debut in top 10 killyourstereo.com. Retrieved September 15, 2013.
- "Tonight Alive – The Other Side". Killyourstereo.com. 3 September 2013. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "JB Hi-Fi - Other Side (Japanese Import Edition) TONIGHT ALIVE". Jbhifi.com.au. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- McMahon, James, ed. (8 August 2015). "Rock's Biggest Secrets Revealed!". Kerrang! (London: Bauer Media Group) (1580). ISSN 0262-6624.
- Reeves, Alex (February 2013). Patashnik, Ben, ed. "2013 Switched On: Tonight Alive". Rock Sound (London: Freeway Press Inc.) (170). ISSN 1465-0185.
- Slessor, Dan (30 August 2014). McMahon, James, ed. "The All-New Ultimate Rockstar Test". Kerrang! (London: Bauer Media Group) (1532). ISSN 0262-6624.