The Pinehills, Massachusetts
The Pinehills is a census-designated place (CDP) located in the Pine Hills region of Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States. As of 2008, the project is the largest new residential and commercial development in New England. When complete, The Pinehills, a mixed-use community, will include 1.3 million square feet of mixed-use space and 3,065 homes on only 30 percent of the land, preserving over 2,200 acres of open space over an area of 3,060 acres (12.4 km2), an area larger than many Massachusetts towns. Already, over 500,000 square feet of mixed-use space exists in the Village Green. The community now consists of over 2,000 single-family homes, apartments and condominiums, two daily fee public golf courses, a private golf club, and the Village Green, a commercial center with a grocery store, restaurants, US Post Office, shops and professional and medical services. At the 2010 census, the population was 955.
Homes in The Pinehills are organized into nearly 40 neighborhoods. Neighborhoods have different builders and home styles: from cottage homes to custom homes to condominium townhomes to luxury apartment rentals. Homes are designed by eleven different builders, including Polhemus Savery DaSilva Architects Builders, The Green Company, Kistler and Knapp, Design Housing, Pulte Homes, Whitman Homes, MacKenzie Brothers, Toll Brothers, Barefoot Cottage Company, The Hanover Company, and AvalonBay Communities, Inc.
The Pinehills is also home to Mirbeau Inn & Spa. This is the second Mirbeau in the U.S., with the first in the Finger Lakes region of New York State. Mirbeau is known for its spa treatments and beautiful architecture and design. Surrounding the Inn are Monet-inspired pond gardens.
80 residences offering assisted living and memory care for seniors are part of Laurelwood at The Pinehills, by Northbridge Companies.
The Village Green
The Village Green is the commercial center of the Pinehills. It consists of Mirbeau Inn & Spa, The Market at The Pinehills, several shops including a salon, a restaurant, a post office, a wine and spirits shop, several medical service centers, offices, and a TD Bank branch. A gas station opened in the spring of 2012. A fire station is also located within The Pinehills. And Rye Tavern, which is located on the oldest continuous road in the U.S. (Old Sandwich Road) is also a restaurant within The Pinehills.
The Pinehills is home to Pinehills Golf Club which contains two public, daily-fee 18-hole golf courses situated among the residential neighborhoods. The courses are titled the "Nicklaus Course" and the "Rees Jones Course", and both are consistently ranked among the top golf courses in the United States. The community also contains a private club, Old Sandwich Golf Club, featuring a golf course designed by Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw.
- "Feature Detail Report for: The Pinehills Census Designated Place". United States Geological Survey. 31 Mar 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-19.
- Judith Gaines. "Is this the new New England?". Yankee Magazine. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-08-07.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): The Pinehills CDP, Massachusetts". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 27, 2012.
- "The Homes". The Pinehills. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-08-07.
- "The Pinehills Village Green". The Pinehills. Retrieved 2007-08-07.
- "Championship Golf". The Pinehills. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-08-07.