The Pinehills is a census-designated place (CDP) located in the Pine Hills region of Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States. As of 2008, the project is the largest new residential and commercial development in New England. The community will consist of over 1,000 luxury houses, apartments and condominiums, two golf courses, a country club, and the Village Green, a small commercial center with shops and services. It is still under construction. When completed in 2014, it is expected to contain close to 3,000 homes and stretch over an area of 3,060 acres (12.4 km2), an area larger than many Massachusetts towns. At the 2010 census, the population was 955.
The houses in The Pinehills are broken into several small neighborhoods. Each neighborhood has a different home style: from cottage homes to custom homes to townhomes to luxury apartment rentals. Homes are designed by one of nine different builders, including Whitman Homes, MacKenzie Brothers, Toll Bros and Barefoot Cottage Company.
The Pinehills is also home to The Mirbeau Inn & Spa. This is the second Mirbeau in the U.S., with the first in the Finger Lakes region of New York State. Mirbeau is known for its award-winning cuisine, world-class spa treatments and beautiful architecture and design. Surrounding the Inn are Monet-inspired pond gardens.
Currently, 80 new residences, part of the Laurelwood section, are in construction by Northbridge Companies and are expected to open in Spring 2015. These apartments will offer assisted living and memory care for seniors.
The Village Green
The Village Green is the commercial center of the Pinehills. It consists of Mirbeau Inn & Spa, The Market at The Pinehills, several shops including a salon, a restaurant, a post office, a wine and spirits shop, several medical service centers, offices, and a TD Bank branch. A gas station opened in the spring of 2012. A fire station is also located within The Pinehills. And Rye Tavern, which is located on the oldest continuous road in the U.S. (Old Sandwich Road) is also a restaurant within The Pinehills.
The Pinehills contains two 18-hole golf courses situated among the residential neighborhoods. The courses are titled the "Nicklaus Course" and the "Rees Jones Course", and both are consistently ranked among the top golf courses in the United States. The development also contains a country club and a golf center.
- "Feature Detail Report for: The Pinehills Census Designated Place". United States Geological Survey. 31 Mar 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-19.
- Judith Gaines. "Is this the new New England?". Yankee Magazine. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-08-07.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): The Pinehills CDP, Massachusetts". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 27, 2012.
- "The Homes". The Pinehills. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-08-07.
- "The Pinehills Village Green". The Pinehills. Retrieved 2007-08-07.
- "Championship Golf". The Pinehills. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-08-07.