The Plank (1967 film)
|Directed by||Eric Sykes|
|Produced by||Jon Penington
Beryl Vertue (executive)
|Written by||Eric Sykes|
|Music by||Brian Fahey|
|Edited by||John Pomeroy|
|Distributed by||J. Arthur Rank Film Distributors (UK)|
The Plank is a 1967 British slapstick comedy short film made by Associated London Films. It follows the misadventures of two builders who require a floorboard. It was written and directed by Eric Sykes, and produced by Jon Penington. The story was based on an episode of Eric Sykes' BBC comedy series Sykes and a... from 1964, called 'Sykes and A Plank'.
Although not strictly a silent film, it is unusual in having little dialogue; instead, the film is punctuated by grunts, other vocal noises and sound effects.
The cast features many of the top comedians and comic actors of the time.
After one of the characters uses the last floorboard for heating, the two hapless carpenters have to buy a replacement. They return to the house with the plank on top of a Morris 8 E-type, but the journey is fraught with unexpected difficulties.
The film is a series of "plank jokes" elaborating on the "man with a plank" slapstick routine seen in vaudeville and silent films, and adding new ones. For instance, at one point the plank is tied to the top of the car and projects backward into the open back of a large van. A man (played by Roy Castle) enters the back of the van and sits down. The van drives away, leaving him suspended in mid-air sitting on the end of the plank.
- Eric Sykes
- Tommy Cooper
- Jimmy Edwards as Policeman
- Roy Castle
- Jimmy Tarbuck
- Anna Carteret
- John Junkin
- Bill Oddie as Window Cleaner
- Stratford Johns as Station Sergeant
- Graham Stark as Amorous Van Driver
- Jim Dale as House Painter
- Hattie Jacques
- Rex Garner
- Libby Morris
- Ronnie Brody
- Johnny Speight
- Thomas Gallagher
- Howard Douglas
- Kenny Lynch
- Joan Young
- Barney Gilbraith
- Clovissa Newcombe
- Dermot Kelly
- and The Cat
- The plank itself was sold at auction in December 2011 for £1,050.
- The Plank (1979 film) — a television remake of this film
- Other Eric Sykes short films in a similar style to The Plank:
- "The Plank (1967)". britmovie.co.uk
- Wilkin, Chris (1 December 2011). "Wooden film star goes under the hammer in Colchester". Daily Gazette. Retrieved 16 December 2011.
- "Plank of wood goes under hammer ... for £1,050". Daily Gazette. 5 December 2011. Retrieved 16 December 2011.
- "Plank of wood that became a film star is sold for £1k". Daily Gazette. 8 December 2011. Retrieved 16 December 2011.