The Sportsman's Guide
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Industry||Internet & Retail|
|Headquarters||411 Farwell Avenue, South St. Paul, MN 55075, South St. Paul, Minnesota, United States|
|North America, South America, Europe & Asia Pacific|
|Products||Clothing, outdoor gear, ammunition, shooting supplies|
|Services||Online and catalog retailer; liquidation store attached to headquarters.|
|Parent||Northern Tool + Equipment|
The Sportsman’s Guide is a direct marketer and internet retailer of hunting gear, fishing gear, military surplus, ammunition and outdoor sporting goods. It is based in Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA. The company was founded by Gary Olen in 1970, and the first Sportsman’s Guide catalog mailed in 1976. In 2012, The Sportsman’s Guide employed about 700 people.
The Sportsman’s Guide was founded by Gary Olen, getting its start in his basement in the winter of 1970. The first product, a patch for hunting jackets detailing the previous year’s trophy success, immediately proved popular with hunters across the country.
The first Sportsman’s Guide catalog was just one page, and it was delivered at the time of the opening of the hunting season in 1977. By 1992, The Guide was mailing eight outdoor gear and clothing catalogs annually, and by 2012, the number had risen to 63.
The Sportsman’s Guide has, over time, expanded its range to include ammunition, shooting supplies and accessories, clothing and footwear, camping gear, items for home, garden & patio, electronics, optics, gifts, sports and recreation, and truck and ATV items.
In 2006, The Sportsman’s Guide was acquired for approximately $265 million by Redcats USA, a wholly owned subsidiary of Redcats Group which is the home-shopping group owned by French luxury and distribution group PPR (Pinault-Printemps-Redoute).
In 2012, The Sportsman’s Guide was acquired for $215 million by Northern Tool + Equipment.
The Sportsman’s Guide headquarters is located in Southern St. Paul, Minnesota. The Sportsman’s Guide catalog website, and retail store all operate from the 330,000-square-foot building located on Farwell Avenue.
Private Label Brands
The Sportsman’s Guide Buyer’s Club Advantage Catalog was introduced in January 1995. Members pay an annual fee to receive various discounts and other benefits.
The Sportsman’s Guide has launched iPhone, iPad and Android apps, as well as a mobile e-commerce site that automatically optimized the website display to the smartphone or mobile device being used.
The Sportsman’s Guide expanded shipping to Canada in 2010, creating a website specifically for Canadian customers. Then, on July 8, 2011, the company launched the “worldwide” website in over 90 countries, making it possible to convert currencies and accept international orders.
The Guide Outdoors section of SportsmansGuide.com publishes a collection of outdoor-related news and information.
- Omastiak, Rebecca. “The Sportsman’s Guide Caters to Survivalists with New Products”. Twin Cities Business Magazine. 2013-4-3. Link: http://tcbmag.com/News/Recent-News/2013/April/The-Sportsmans-Guide-Launches-Survival-Gear-to-Gr
- The Sportsman’s Guide Launches New Private Label Home Product Line. PRWeb. 2012-12-6. Link: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/12/prweb10208682.htm
- The Sportsman’s Guide Launches Military-Inspired HQ ISSUE™ Brand. MilitarySpot.com. 2012-12-13. Link: http://www.militaryspot.com/news/the-sportsmans-guide-launches-military-inspired-hq-issue-brand/
- Buyer's Club, sportsmansguide.com
- Palmer, Alex. “The Sportsman’s Guide Launches Mobile Apps, e-Commerce Site”. Direct Marketing News. 2010-10-11. Link: http://www.dmnews.com/the-sportsmans-guide-launches-mobile-apps-e-commerce-site/article/180812/
- Tode, Chantal. “The Sportsman’s Guide Ups Investment in Mobile to Reach On-the-Go Outdoorsmen.” Mobile Commerce Daily. 2011-12-9. Link: http://www.mobilecommercedaily.com/the-sportsman%E2%80%99s-guide-ups-investment-in-mobile-to-reach-on-the-go-outdoorsmen