The Strength/The Sound/The Songs
|This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (January 2017)|
|The Strength / The Sound / The Songs|
|Studio album by Volbeat|
|Released||26 September 2005 |
|Label||Rebel Monster Records, Mascot Records|
|Singles from The Strength/The Sound/The Songs|
The Strength / The Sound / The Songs is the debut studio album by Danish heavy metal band Volbeat. Released in 2005, the album initially failed to chart. However, in July 2006 the album entered the Danish Charts, peaking at #18. The album would stay on on that chart for 21 non-consecutive weeks. Volbeat's label at the time, Mascot Records, had only a limited distribution deal in the United States, meaning that the album went largely unnoticed in that country. Volbeat would not breakthrough in the United States until 2010 with their 4th album, Beyond Hell / Above Heaven.
Two of the albums songs, "Danny & Lucy (11PM)" and "Fire Song" form a story which is continued on Volbeat's second album, Rock The Rebel/Metal The Devil with the song "Mr. & Mrs. Ness", the song "Mary Ann's Place" from the bands third album, Guitar Gangsters and Cadillac Blood, and is concluded on the bands sixth album, Seal The Deal & Let's Boogie with the song "You Will Know".
The songs "Pool of Booze, Booze, Booza", "Soulsweeper", "Danny & Lucy (11 PM)", and "Alienized" are all taken from Volbeat's 2003 demo, titled "Beat The Meat". Additionally, the song Soulweeper was released as a single in 2003, though the band did not have a label when it was released and is considered a demo. The only official single released from the album was the bands cover of Dusty Springfield's "I Only Wanna Be With You", which was released in 2006. The band also filmed a music video for the single, which features Volbeat performing on a rooftop.
Being a limited release outside of Denmark, professional English reviews of the album are scarce. Scott Alisoglu of Blabbermouth.com gave the album a 7.5/10, saying "Loud guitars, a nice collection of hooks, and an endearingly oddball vocal performance make "The Strength/The Sounds/The Songs" a worthwhile spin. It sure as hell stands apart from anything in my CD collection."
All songs written by Michael Poulsen, Jon Larsen, Anders Kjølholm and Franz Gottschalk, except track 13, written by Mike Hawker and Ivor Raymonde. The words of track 11 are credited to both Michael Poulsen and Elvis A. Presley.
|2.||"Another Day, Another Way"||3:03|
|3.||"Something Else or..."||4:08|
|5.||"Pool of Booze, Booze, Booza"||3:38|
|7.||"Say Your Number"||4:42|
|10.||"Danny & Lucy (11 PM)"||2:51|
|13.||"I Only Wanna Be With You"||2:44|
|14.||"Everything's Still Fine"||3:20|
- Michael Poulsen - vocals, rhythm guitar
- Franz "Hellboss" Gottschalk - lead guitar
- Anders Kjølholm - bass
- Jon Larsen - drums
- Hung, Steffen. "danishcharts.com - Volbeat - The Strength / The Sound / The Songs". www.danishcharts.com. Retrieved 2017-01-25.
- "Danish Metalheads Volbeat Explain Breaking Through in America & Their Awkwardly Awesome Coachella Show". Billboard. Retrieved 2017-01-25.
- Seal The Deal & Let's Boogie liner notes. p. 16.
This song (You Will Know) ends the story from past songs like Danny & Lucy (11 PM), Fire Song, Mr. And Mrs. Ness and Mary Ann's Place
- "Volbeat - The Strength / The Sound / The Songs". Discogs. Retrieved 2017-01-25.
- "Volbeat - Soulweeper". Discogs. Retrieved 2017-01-25.
- "Volbeat - I Only Wanna Be With You". Discogs. Retrieved 2017-01-29.
- Mascot Records (2006-11-29), VOLBEAT "I Only Wanna Be With You" Video of The Strength/The Sound/The Songs, retrieved 2017-01-29
- "The Strength/The Sound/The Songs - VOLBEAT". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. 2005-10-23. Retrieved 2017-01-25.
- The Strength/The Sound/The Songs liner notes. p. 8.
"Words by Michael Poulsen and Elvis A Presley" - Caroline #1