This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type of site||Gossip/celebrity blog|
|Alexa rank||4,147 (April 2014[update])|
The Superficial is a website devoted to celebrity gossip. It was founded on May 23, 2004, and quickly grew in popularity. The Superficial was a part of Anticlown Media, along with other sites such as IWatchStuff.com and Geekologie.com. The site is updated several times a day and has an Alexa traffic ranking of 1,099 within the United States as of June 23, 2012. It has been named one of the five best celebrity news websites by a Chicago Tribune writer.
The Superficial is notable for its biting wit, irreverence towards the celebrities whose lives it chronicles, and liberal political viewpoint. Unlike other celebrity news sites such as E! Online and TMZ.com, The Superficial lampoons the behavior of celebrities, to a degree even greater than Perez Hilton. In particular, The Superficial currently focuses a disproportionate number of items on the drunken misadventures of Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, and Lindsay Lohan, which it has dubbed "The Unholy Trinity," as well as Amy Winehouse and Heidi Montag. The Superficial is also unafraid to make bold statements, such as referring to Heidi Klum and Seal's first son as an "ugly mole creature." The Superficial sometimes posts "Not Suitable For Work" (NSFW) photographs of celebrities, notably Britney Spears and Tara Reid, in various states of public undress.
The anonymous writer often refers to his "midget" infatuation for actress Hayden Panettiere which has since ended and replaced with an infatuation for actresses Mila Kunis and Blake Lively. He posts pictures of various female celebrities in bikinis. He also often makes jokes about his sex life, as well as the size of his penis. He also deals irreverently to people's serious medical conditions such as psoriasis and anorexia.
Buzz Media acquired the site in 2008.
- "Thesuperficial.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Features . "thesuperficial.com Site Overview". Alexa.com. Retrieved 2016-04-13.
- "Hypertext: 50 best Web sites: readers on Celebrity, News, Sports". Featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com. 2006-03-21. Retrieved 2016-04-13.
- [dead link]
- Telegraph UK, The 20 best showbiz and gossip websites Archived May 21, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, and Britney Spears complete unholy trinity". The Superficial. 2006-11-27. Retrieved 2016-04-13.
- "Amy Winehouse's reign of terror hits the freeway". The Superficial. 2008-05-12. Retrieved 2016-04-13.
- "Spencer Pratt gets a manicure". The Superficial. 2008-09-19. Retrieved 2016-04-13.
- "Heidi Klum has an ugly baby". The Superficial. 2005-10-19. Retrieved 2016-04-13.
- "Hayden Panettiere does a striptease for a man that's not me?! I've lost the will to live". The Superficial. 2008-07-30. Retrieved 2016-04-13.
- "Caroline D'Amore in a revealing outfit designed for aquatic recreation". The Superficial. 2008-09-04. Retrieved 2016-04-13.