The Toxic Avenger Part II
|The Toxic Avenger Part II|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Lloyd Kaufman
|Produced by||Michael Herz
Jeffrey W. Sass
|Written by||Gay Partington Terry|
|Screenplay by||Lloyd Kaufman|
|Story by||Lloyd Kaufman|
by Joe Ritter
|Music by||Barrie Guard|
|Edited by||Michael Schweitzer|
|Distributed by||Troma Entertainment
103 minutes (Director's cut)
The Toxic Avenger Part II is a 1989 superhero comedy horror film released by Troma Entertainment. It was directed by Lloyd Kaufman and features The Toxic Avenger in an adventure to Japan to meet his father. The film has received cult status among a new audience almost a generation after it was first released. Go Nagai makes a cameo appearance and the film is also the debut of actor/martial artist Michael Jai White and musician/composer/performance artist Phoebe Legere.
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (March 2012)|
Five years after the events of the original film, The Toxic Avenger (Ron Fazio) is lured to Tokyo, Japan by the evil corporation Apocalypse Inc. So while the Toxic Avenger is fighting crime in Tokyo, Apocalypse Inc. spreads evil in Tromaville and it is up to the famous hideously deformed superhero of superhuman size and strength to stop the abominable Apocalypse Inc. from attacking both Tokyo and Tromaville.
- Ron Fazio as The Toxic Avenger / Apocalypse Inc. Executive
- John Altamura as Voice of The Toxic Avenger
- Phoebe Legere as Claire
- Rick Collins as Apocalypse Inc. Chairman
- Lisa Gaye as Malfaire
- Rikiya Yasuoka (Michael Herz, uncredited voice) as Big Mac Bunko
- Mayako Katsuragi as Masumi
- Tsutomu Sekine as News caster
- Jessica Dublin as Mrs. Junko
- Jack Cooper as Big Mac Junko
- Don Eckhart as Kid riding bike in opening scene
- Fernando Antonio as Apocalypse Inc. Executive
- Paul Borghese as Lou Sipher: Apocalypse Inc. Executive
- Sylvester Covin as Apocalypse Inc. Executive
- William Decker as Apocalypse Inc. Executive
- Joe Fleishaker as Apocalypse Inc. Executive
- Mark Fucile as Apocalypse Inc. Executive
- Marc Allan Ginsberg as Apocalypse Inc. Executive
- Sal Lioni as Apocalypse Inc. Executive
- Doug McDonald as Apocalypse Inc. Executive
- Benny Nieves as Apocalypse Inc. Executive
- Kariim Ratcliff as Apocalypse Inc. Executive
- Michael Jai White as Apocalypse Inc. Executive
- Susan Whitty as Apocalypse Inc. Executive
- Jeremiah Yates as Apocalypse Inc. Executive
- Dan Snow as Cigar Face
- Lloyd Kaufman (uncredited) as Sumo wrestler / Voice of fish salesman
When production started, John Altamura played The Toxic Avenger with Ron Fazio doing some doubling for mainly long shots of the character as he was cast already as an Apocalypse Inc. executive. However, according to an 2001 interview with Fazio, Altamura abused his authority by complaining about the make-up and had threatened some staff members, pushing Kaufman to fire Altamura. Kaufman then hired Fazio to play the Toxic Avenger when production moved to Tokyo, Japan. However, Kaufman kept the scenes with Altamura in the film, hence in the film's opening fight sequence, we see both Fazio and Altamura facing against each other with Fazio playing the tiger-striped member of Apocalypse Inc who gets punched Exorcist-style by Altamura's Toxic Avenger. Fazio's voice would be used as the Toxic Avenger.
Michael Jai White made his film debut in the film and not only acted as a member of Apocalypse Inc., but assisted with the film's fight sequences in New York while Hitoshi Genma coordinated the film's action scenes in Japan.
The 'Unrated Director's cut' version released on DVD by Troma Entertainment is actually missing almost all scenes of gore. The full version with an extra 10 minutes of gore is currently only available in the 'Tox Box' DVD set which is now out of print.
The Japanese and German releases are the full uncut version.
The 2008 'Complete Toxic Avenger' 7-disc DVD set includes the uncut version and is the same disc found in the 'Tox Box'.