The Way Up
|The Way Up|
|Studio album by Pat Metheny Group|
|Released||January 25, 2005|
|Studio||Right Track Recording, New York City|
|Genre||Jazz, jazz fusion|
|Pat Metheny chronology|
|All About Jazz||(favourable)|
The album consists of one 68-minute-long piece, split into four tracks solely for CD navigation. The album is a showcase for the band's ability in solo improvisation and dynamics. Swiss multi-instrumentalist Gregoire Maret joined the Group for the album's recording and tour, being showcased on the harmonica.
The main idea for the piece had been germinating for several years before finally being officially composed and recorded in 2003-04. Metheny has remarked that, The Way Up became a sort of protest song to counter the influence of, in his view, an increasingly impatient, shallow, and simple-minded world.
Because of the album's ambitious nature and demanding studio refining, it was originally not intended to be played live. Both Metheny and Mays remarked on the exhaustive accomplishment of successfully transferring the entire piece to a live setting for the promotional tour.
Certain elements of the composition were influenced by the works of contemporary composer Steve Reich, with whom Pat Metheny has collaborated in the past. Reich is credited on the CD with "very special thanks" along with Eberhard Weber, another musician with whom both Metheny and Mays have collaborated.
As part of the album's promotional tour, the Group performed at the Montreal Jazz Festival and a concert was recorded in South Korea and released on DVD.
- Pat Metheny – acoustic guitars, electric guitars, guitar synthesizer, slide guitar, toy guitar, producer
- Lyle Mays – piano, keyboards, toy xylophone, producer
- Steve Rodby – acoustic bass, electric bass, cello, violin, producer
- Cuong Vu – trumpet, voice, toy whistle
- Grégoire Maret – harmonica
- Antonio Sánchez – drums, toy xylophone
|2006||Best Contemporary Jazz Album|
The Way Up - Live (DVD, 2006)
- Running time: 91 minutes
- Recorded in LG Arts Center, Seoul, Korea, 2004
- Directed and edited by Steve Rodby
- Produced by Pat Metheny
- Executive producers – Ted Kurland and David Sholemson
- Recorded by Pete Karam and David Oakes
- Mixed by Rob Eaton
- An Eagle Eye Media release. Eagle Eye Media a division of Eagle Rock Entertainment Ltd.
- Pat Metheny – guitars, guitar synthesizer
- Lyle Mays – piano, keyboards
- Steve Rodby – acoustic bass, electric bass
- Antonio Sanchez – drums, electric bass
- Cuong Vu – trumpet, vocals, percussion, guitar, glockenspiel
- Grégoire Maret – harmonica, guitar, vocals, percussion, electric bass, marimba, kalimba
- Nando Lauria – guitar, vocals, percussion, vibraphone, flugelhorn, melodica, kalimba