They Came Together
|They Came Together|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||David Wain|
|Produced by||Michael Showalter|
|Edited by||Jamie Gross|
They Came Together is a 2014 American satirical romantic comedy film directed by David Wain and written by Wain and Michael Showalter. It is a parody of romantic comedies infused with Showalter and Wain's absurd approach. The film had its world premiere at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival, and was released theatrically (with a simultaneous release on iTunes) on June 27, 2014.
This article needs an improved plot summary. (January 2015)
When Joel (Rudd) and Molly (Poehler) meet, it's hate at first sight: his big Corporate Candy Company threatens to shut down her quirky indie candy shop. But amazingly (and predictably), they fall in love, until they break up and then must find their way back together.
- Paul Rudd as Joel
- Amy Poehler as Molly
- Cobie Smulders as Tiffany Amber Thigpen
- Christopher Meloni as Roland, Joel's boss
- Max Greenfield as Jake
- Bill Hader as Kyle
- Ellie Kemper as Karen
- Jason Mantzoukas as Bob, Joel's best friend
- Melanie Lynskey as Brenda
- Ed Helms as Eggbert Flaps
- Noureen DeWulf as Melanie
- Michael Ian Black as Trevor
- Michaela Watkins as Habermeyer
- Randall Park as Martinson
- Teyonah Parris as Wanda
- David Wain as Keith Flaps
- Jack McBrayer as Oliver
- Kenan Thompson as Teddy
- Ken Marino as Tommy
- Erinn Hayes as Valerie
- Zandy Hartig as Katherine
- Zak Orth as Waiter with Pole
- Norah Jones as Herself
- Adam Scott as Sound Engineer
- John Stamos as Assistant Engineer
- Maureen Mueller as Pam
- Michael Murphy as Roger
- Alberto Vazquez as Mexican Waiter
- Lynn Cohen as Bubby
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Frank
- Michael Shannon as Spike
- Judge Judy Sheindlin as Herself
The film had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 24, 2014., the film went on to screen at the Sundance London Film Festival on April 26, 2014., and went on to screen at the Chicago Critics Film Festival, Seattle International Film Festival, BAMcinema Fest., The film was released in the United States on June 27, 2014 in a limited release and through video on demand by Lionsgate.
They Came Together has been met with generally positive reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes the film holds a 69% rating based on 82 reviews, with the site's consensus stating: "They Came Together is surprisingly messy and perhaps too smart for its own good, but Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd's chemistry is enough to overcome many of the movie's flaws". On Metacritic, the movie has a score of 60 out of 100 based on 27 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- Sneider, Jeff (May 9, 2012). "Rudd, Poehler team for rom-com parody". Variety. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "Sundance 2014: World Cinema Dramatic Competition". Retrieved May 5, 2014.
- Reiher, Andrea (May 1, 2014). "'They Came Together': Watch 'Parks and Rec' star Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd skewer rom-com cliches". Zap2it.com. Retrieved May 1, 2014.
- Bettinger, Brendan (August 1, 2012). "First Photos of Paul Rudd, Amy Poehler, and Michael Shannon with a Sword on "They Came Together" Set". Collider. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- Nashawaty, Chris (2014-01-25). "Paul Rudd, Amy Poehler give rom coms an 'Airplane!' twist: Sundance". EW.com. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "Sundance London 2014 Review – They Came Together (2014)". Flickeringmyth.com. 2014-04-26. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "They Came Together". The Chicago Critics Film Festival. 2014-05-09. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "They Came Together". SIFF. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- Gordon Cox (2014-05-06). "N.Y. Will Get First Glimpses of 'Snowpiercer,' 'They Came Together' at BAMcinemaFest". Variety. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "Watch Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler Help Save Parodies In They Came Together Trailer". Cinemablend. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "They Came Together (2014)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "They Came Together Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2015-07-27.